56 Whale Sharks and Fairytales

Nora~~

Charlie and I come down the stairs side by side. Pace waits for us at the bottom, a pocket square peeks out of his blazer.

"Miss Everley, what a pleasure to see you again."

"Likewise," I grit out between a smile.

His eyes go to the rose in my hand. "A gift from my son?"

I thread my hand through Charlie's. "Yes."

"Dad, we should probably eat before the food gets cold."

"That shouldn't be a problem. You and Nora would be able to conjure something up for us if it did."

"I've never seen her conjure food before."

Pace's eyes turn on me.

Swallowing the lump in my throat, I squeeze Charlie's hand. "I've certainly tried, but nothing came of it." I do my best to keep my voice steady, so Pace won't see through the lie.

The food has already been set out for us on the table. This is the dining room Charlie rifted me to that day he found me down in the subway station. My eyes slide to the wall he held me against, but when I notice Charlie sees where my gaze lands, I quickly focus on taking my seat. Pace sits across from me and Charlie who told me his dad elected to forego the seat at the head of the table so he can watch us both head on at the same time.

Pace cuts into his salmon, and Charlie spears a roasted carrot with his fork.

I work on slicing up my food to keep busy, the idea of eating with Pace upsetting my stomach.

"Charlie has explained the Lucid classifications and his idea to you?"

I continue slicing my food, working on the fish. "Yes."

"And what are your thoughts? I'm sure this all must be a lot to take in."

"Do my thoughts matter?" I keep my tone light but grip my utensils.

"I want to make sure I have your full cooperation."

"You do, Dad." Charlie sets his fork and knife down. "Nora assured me you do. There's no need for extra steps."

Pace wipes his mouth with his napkin. "Those steps of course won't be necessary if she isn't a Class One."

"And if I am, I assume you'll still wish for me to be the next master dreamer."

"I've yet to decide. It also depends on if your first child is a Class One, let alone a Lucid."

Our first child. This all suddenly starts to feel real.

"Is something wrong with your food?" Pace asks.

"Oh, no. It's fine."

"But you haven't eaten any."

I bite my tongue, and over my jeans, Charlie brushes his hand against my thigh for a brief moment letting me know he's here.

"Nora and I are both still accepting this change. We're overwhelmed. That's all."

Using his knife, Pace slides a piece of salmon onto his fork. "There's no need to be overwhelmed. You're both still kids. Once you're both past eighteen, then we can start the study." A study. That's what he's calling it. Pace puts the fish in his mouth, and I force myself to eat one of the smaller pieces I cut of the vegetables.

"Not being a Class One, doesn't mean you won't still be the master dreamer. I hope you understand that, dear."

Charlie sets his wine glass down with enough force to slosh the red liquid, spilling it onto the cream-colored tablecloth. "Must we talk about this over dinner?"