is it really over? (requested)

Your hands were shaking as you press your phone to your ear. The line rang a couple of times before you heard the sound of your ex-wife, Sofia, on the other line.

"Hey, Y/N. Everything okay?"

"Not really." You whimpered as you shed a couple of tears. "Noah is in the hospital."

The words that fell from your lips only made you feel more worried than you did before. You're just outside the door to your four-year-old son's hospital room. He's in there, safe and sound now.

But he gave you quite the scare when you took him to the park and he ended up falling and hitting his head on the ground.

It was absolutely terrifying. Your heart was in your throat as you called an ambulance in a panic. You can hardly even remember what you said, it was all just a scary blur.

But he's just fine now. He only has a big bump on his head and his wrist is broken. Other than that, he's okay and you're so thankful.

But the call you have to make to Sofia isn't an easy one. You're almost choking on your words, still shaken up.

"What happened? Is he alright?"

"Yeah, he's gonna be just fine. He fell on the playground, though. It was really scary." You explained as you ran your hand through your messy hair once more. "He wants to see you."

"Yeah, I'm on my way. It's the hospital closest to your house, right?"

"yeah." You replied as the lump in your throat returned as she said your home. It wasn't the one you shared anymore. That home was sold when you and Sofia divorced a few months ago. It wasn't an easy decision but at the time, you feel like it's what was needed.

Your son is still struggling to cope with it and, honestly, you do too sometimes. Divorce is hard already, but having a child who is like your ex's twin makes it more difficult.

You hung up the phone as she promised she was on her way and would be there in minutes. You walked back into the hospital room and sat by Noah's bed, taking his tiny hand in yours as he reached out for it.

You passed the time by tapping your foot on the floor, trying to get rid of the guilt you feel for this happening in the first place.

But the door opened a moment later and Sofia walked through the door, relieved to find Noah awake and playing with a toy that you always keep in his backpack for him.

"Oh, buddy." She spoke sadly and rushed to give him a hug. "How are you feeling?"

"Okay." He said and pointed to the cast on his tiny wrist.

"Oh, how awesome." She giggled and kissed his head before looking at you.

She knows you all too well. You were trying to disguise your nervous and guilty expression. But she was your wife for almost six years and you're doing all the things you always do when you've got too much on your mind.

"Hey, little man. I'm gonna pull your mom aside for a minute. We'll be just outside the door. Will you be okay for a second?"

He nodded and Sofia nodded to the door, walking out with you as your heart pounded in your chest.

"Sofia, I don't know what happened. He was playing one second then he was on the ground the next. I didn't even take my eyes off of him-"

You were trying to explain through the tears in your eyes and your heart that was hammering against your ribcage. But she didn't let you finish before she was bringing you into her arms. You buried your face in her neck and she held you tight as you trembled and let yourself relax in her arms.

"It's not your fault. Don't feel guilty. We both knew having a child was gonna come with things like this. Kids play, they get hurt but they get right back up. Noah is a tough cookie and you're an amazing mother. So stop feeling bad. You've got nothing to be sorry for."

You nodded but didn't pull away.

And neither did she.

It felt... familiar. 

These were moments you always shared when you were married. You hugged her, held onto her, found comfort in her through the ups and downs that life brings your way.

She smelled good. Her arms were warm and strong. Her embrace was comforting. Neither of you wanted to pull away.

And so you didn't. You both let your second thoughts and worries about this moment possibly being too much and too familiar for the other. You sought comfort in each other after the scare your son gave you.

"I'm sorry." You whispered and she frowned as you pulled away.

"For what? Y/N, I told you already-"

"Not for that. For... letting go. For thinking that it would be better if we split."

"Me too."

There was obviously something between the both of you, something that you needed to talk out.

But you have a son that you're both more worried about right now. 

So you decided to go back into his room, but not before Sofia took your hand and brushed it along yours. She obviously wanted to hold it, keep it wrapped in hers like all the times before. 

But she worried it was too much too fast and she settled for a quick brush instead before letting go and keeping her hand on the small of your back instead.

You'd both be talking later. 

But for now, Noah came first and you just wanted to get him home before anything else.

But you couldn't deny the flutter in your heart or the smile that tugged at your lips as you wondered if it was really over for the both of you, unaware that  Sofia was feeling the same, hoping, just like you, that it was far from over.