71: Don't You Dare Finish That Sentence

"You planning something, aren't you?" Logan states sounding it out as a question, a knowing look pasted on his otherwise impassive face.

I shrug innocently, "I don't what you're talking about," I mumble. Peeking into the kitchen to make sure the coast is clear; a sigh leaves my lips at my conclusion.

"Thanks, Ms. Jonas," I acknowledge, standing beside her as she places the now baked tarts on a tray.

"No problem Miss. You need anything else?" She asks, but I shake my head negatively. Nodding at my response she takes a step to the side giving more space to work.

"These need to cool down a bit more," I mumble to myself checking their temperature by touching the edge of the tarts with my fingertips.

Placing the tray carrying the tarts on the other side of the counter, I flop down on one of the many barstools. "I'm bored," I huff out, but I hear no comment from either of the people present in the room.

Pulling out my phone as my last resort, I scroll through my social media feed just as I stumble upon Alessandro's post causing my mind to subconsciously wander back to our conversation earlier as heat tinted the apple of my cheeks with a pink hue.

Fighting against the urge to grin like a love-stricken puppy, I close the app and try distracting myself with mindless games. Less than five minutes into the game, I sigh in boredom.

Jumping off my seat, I check on the tarts only to find them in the same condition I left them minutes ago with negligible change. "Why don't you just add the lemon curd and let it cool later?" Vector asks observing my frustrated behavior.

"Can't," I reply shrugging my shoulders. "Don't ask me why though," I quickly add as an afterthought. "Mrs. Blacksmith-my neighbor, taught me to make this and she always emphasized on letting the tart cool down to room temperature before adding the curd."

Placing my hand on the bowl full of lemon curd, I nod my head subconsciously. The bowl is still a bit warm, I observe. "I hate waiting," I grumble under my breath.

Leaving the two elements to cool down together, I exit the kitchen with my two shadows in tow. Instead of heading back to my room, I settle on heading down to the basketball court in the basement.

On my way down, I overhear some discussion about drinks and other arrangements-for the party, I'm guessing-but chose to ignore it...for now. Smirking to myself, I shake my head in dismissal and continue my walk to the court.

The familiar smell of freshness of the rubber mats permeates the air greeting me. The shiny luster of the flooring still very prominent, with a few dents on the floor displayed proudly like battle scars of an old soldier. And most importantly, the gym is void of any brothers, a not some common occurrence that I intend to take full advantage of.

"Those boys are in for this time," I catch Logan mumble to Victor, but I don't comment on it.

"Do any of you know how to play?" I ask craning my neck to the side with my eyes directed towards them.

Hesitance is clear in their demeanor, "come on, I don't want to play alone," I persuade.

"Sure," Logan agrees while Victor still looks unsure.

"Cool," I mumble, heading towards the stand and grabbing a ball.

"We are three of us," Victor points out as I chest-pass the ball to Logan, who catches it effortlessly.

"You can be our referee then," Logan suggests taking off his blazer and loosening the buttons on his sleeve.

Victor shifts his gaze to me for approval. "Fine by me," I shrug.