Chapter five - Family

Dream wakes up to the sun shining in his face. He heard some movement by the door so he slowly opened his eyes. A maid had just pulled open the curtains and was now picking up books off the floor. She never once looked at the bed, where Dream and George lied. And soon she left the room.

Dream looked down at the boy sleeping in his arms. He looked so calm. His hair was a mess and his right cheek was swollen and purple. Dream frowned. He wished he could have protected the prince. But he couldn't go against the King. Could he?

George's eye fluttered open and looked right into Dream's. "Gm- good morning." the prince yawned and started stretching like a cat.

"Good morning, my prince." Dream sat up and looked down at George, "Did you sleep well?"

"Yes, thanks to you. You're very warm and comfy." George made his way onto Dream's lap and rested his hand on Dream's shoulder.

Dream giggled to himself, "You really like cuddles, don't you?"

"I've never cuddled before, let alone been touched. So if I'm being too clingy let me know. But just remember you were the one that asked for a hug, and you also held my hand first." George said as he grabbed Dream's hand and started playing with Dream's fingers.

"What do you normally do in a day?"

"Oh, it's very boring. I sit in my room and read. That's it for 365 days of the year. Unless my father calls upon me. which he rarely does."

"So you just sit by yourself and read? Do you ever talk to anyone?"

"Everyone's forbidden to talk to me. No one's even allowed to look at me. Didn't you know this? You are a royal knight, right?"

"What!? I'm not allowed to look at you?" What a stupid rule!

"Wait, you actually didn't know that?" The prince looked at Dream with shock. "D-does that mean you'll stop talking to me?" His beautiful brown and blue eyes filled with sadness.

"Never." Dream looked the prince in the eyes and smiled fondly at him. "I could never pretend like you don't exist. And you're too pretty not to look at."

George blushed but didn't turn away. "I've never felt so loved before. Thank you, Dream."

Dream wrapped his arms around George protectively, Pulling him into a hug. Causing George to give a sweet little giggle.

"I love hugging you," George said still giggling.

"I love hugging you too. And please don't ever feel like you're too clingy. We have to make up for all the years you've been alone."

George pulled away and gave Dream the most beautiful smile Dream had ever seen before. "I'm going to go have a bath and get dressed. You'll still be here when I get back, right?"

"Of course. I do have to visit my family later today, though." Dream hated the idea of leaving George, but he had already promised his mother that he would visit today.

"I wish I could come with you."

"Me too. But if your father finds out..." He didn't want to finish that sentence.

"I know. But you will come back to me, right?"

"I'll come back as soon as I can, I promise."

The prince gave a soft smile and headed toward the bathroom.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dream was sitting on the bed cuddling with George as George read him one of his favorite books. "I hope you're pleased with yourselves. We could all have been killed — or worse, expelled. Now if you don't mind, I'm going to bed."