Chapter 27

Doe's POV:

He's been in his bed for hours now.

I couldn't even distinguish if he had moved or not since he got in.

Which wasn't like him at all.

He usually wasn't the type to just lay around and do nothing.

Even when he wanted to just laze, he at least made it look like he was doing something productive in the process.

On top of all that, he'd been completely silent

Very un-like him.

Although we hadn't spoken to each other yet today, he'd at least hum or make some kind of borderline-annoying sound every once in a while.

The complete silence was... off-putting in a way I wasn't used to.

Even though I had planned on not speaking to him at all today.

Well, not just him... I don't know sometimes I just got in these weird moods and Xander thankfully learned how to work around it.

But it all shifted once Layla decided to step into my day.

The initial fear from that must have kicked it out of me, the repose of when she left clearing it out for now.

The last two times she's come by have been the only times she's left without laying a hand on me.

That, and I guess the surprise of how it all went down.

How Xander lied about what he did to Khloe and then denied both of her requests to feed from me.

That he refused to let her take me on the bloodmoon.

I thought I was completely done for once that request left her disgusting mouth.

Usually if she requested something that directly, he was bound to say yes just out of necessity.

That must have been the first time he's denied her without offering some kind of alternative or compromise.

I didn't think that he had it in him, let alone that he was going to keep his word of keeping me safe until the bloodmoon.

I was careful about trusting his words whenever it came to her because usually all of his rationality leaves once she walks in.

It made me actually want to trust what he said to me afterward.

'I'll try to figure something else out after that.'

But as much as I wanted to, I stopped myself.

To save me from later disappointment if she manages to convince him otherwise.

I don't know how long he can fend her off before she does something drastic to drag him back into succumbing to her every will.

But until then...

I quietly turned my body before hopping off of my spot on the window sill.

I couldn't even see him, just make out the lump in his bed.

The motionless lump.

My brows lowered and my lips puckered as an almost spiteful determination solidified in me.

Spiteful to the fact that Layla's interaction lead to him becoming a stupid lump on a bed.

Carefully, I approached where he laid, getting no indication whatsoever that he was aware of my presence.

His position became more evident as I did.

He was laying on his side facing me, the dark blue blanket being pulled up enough to just barely cover his mouth.