20

"i wish you would just tell me where we're going."

"i can't! it has to be a surprise!"

coraline shook her head with a soft chuckle. her eyes were covered with a sleeping mask, as she apparently wasn't allowed to watch as ranboo drove.

the car came to a stop, and soon coraline was being led by the hand up what felt like a hill under coraline's bare feet. the wind flew through her hair and skirt, causing goosebumps along her skin.

once they stopped, ranboo removed the mask that covered coraline's eyes.

"oh... wow..."

"lake sinclair. we came here after your show."

"we did..."

the night sky bounced off of the lake beautifully. the stars speckled the water like the small, barely noticeable freckles on ranboo's face. coraline smiled sweetly at the tall boy next to her as he set down the basket he was holding. he had planned a picnic, from what coraline could tell.

once the blanket was lied down, the two sat comfortably, eating and watching the lake-gulls fly by.

"whats this all even for?"

"well... i had something to talk about.

coraline's brows furrowed as ranboo pulled our a small, black, velvet box from his pocket.

"woah— i love you and all but, marriage—?"

ranboo laughed and shook his head. he opened the box to reveal a ring. the silver metal was beautifully completed by the dark red rubies. it was a skull, and it's eyes were gemstones.

"marriage is a not yet, i know. this is a promise ring."

coraline smiled softly as ranboo explained.

"it's essentially me promising myself to you. i promise that i will be the man at the altar in years time. i want to marry you, but i know that its not the right time now, so this is my way of saying 'one day', because, well, i promise you that."

"you are legitimately the best thing to ever happen in my life. i was lucky enough to get to where i am today when it comes to my job but— you are the reason i am truly the luckiest guy alive."

"i love you. i love you with every fiber of my being, and i promise i will stay with you forever."

coraline didn't have a word to say as tears fell down her cheeks. she let ranboo slip the ring on her, and then tackled him in a hug. he fell back, laughing as coraline peppered kisses all over his face.

coraline had known people who broken thousands of promises, so she was always reluctant to think of them true. though, something about this damn boy made her know he wasn't going anywhere.

and, with that thoughts, the phantom pain in coraline's legs finally ceased for the first time in years.