Outdated 8

Author's Note: Late chapter, sorry not sorry. Chapter 9 is going to be big, so it might take 2 weeks.

-------

April 02, 1942

President Potts is in her office. Three days ago, she made a speech to the nation, giving an update on the situation. The speech listed the economic issues the country is facing and what her administration is doing to solve it. For example, recreating trade in agreements with nearby nations, making mass investment into American industries, and more.

The other major issue is the Second World War. Before the speech, many citizens wanted to stay out of the war and focus on the economy, but many didn't want to live in a world with the Axis before the historical context in the other timeline. In Potts' speech, she proposed to Congress a Declaration of War against the Axis powers as a whole.

After two days of debate, Congress voted to declare war against the Axis Powers. Congress' reasons were simple; the United States must secure its interests and living in a world with Axis control sixty percent of the world's landmass would be devastating. Their traditional allies are in trouble and would lose the war without US intervention, leaving the US alone in the world. The last major public reason is that they are literally fighting the NAZIs and they're evil, plain and simple. Thus, it is the US's responsibility once again to defeat them a second time.

The private reasons Potts told Congress was that it would boost the US economy and most importantly, quickly expand the US' sphere of influence. Thanks to the mass peacetime mobilization last month, replacement for the losses from the teleport is already in full gear.

The other major point Potts made in her speech was to cooperate with many of the world's nations, like India and the British Empire. While other nations like Brazil and Turkey are on her reach out list, as they are fighting with the Allies. India and the British are the only other powers on Earth the US must deal with currently.

The real problem has been the historical issues both countries have with each other. The British are upset they lost their most crown colony, and India wants to flex its muscles as they teleported, too.

This has been a topic Potts Cabinet has been debating for weeks, trying to find a solution. In their timeline, the US pushed for decolonization because it was unjust and a relic of a different time. However, the US was in a position to replace the European Empires as the guardian of the seas and counter Soviet aggression. Right now the US is not about to treat apart the only real power that is fighting the Axis. They need the British Empire to wage war against Axis Europe and to spread its influence.

At the same time there is no way India will become a colony again and Potts would oppose that. She's glad Churchill figured out the tech disadvantage thanks to his trip to Washington D.C. but that does not solve the relationship problem. Right now it is in the US interest to have both nations intact and working together, not starting a Cold War which the US would be forced to side with the British because of the historical connection and the US needs the British mainland to wage war against Germany. Siding with India would mean the US would be forced to abandon Europe completely; a lose-lose situation for the US. But she has to also make sure the Indians do not feel betrayed here. If the US is too supportive to the British Empire and disregards the Indians, they will go for the next best choice, the Russians or the Soviets in this world, they are far too close to the Indian border thanks to their satellite states bordering Afghanistan. She does not want the Indians to just go and give the Soviets an edge in tech or worse help in their Nuclear program and for that reason and have to maintain the balance and keep the both parties happy.

For a moment it looked like there was going to be no treaty. However, Churchill agreed to one of Prime Minister Tharoor's demands. They return the Koh-i-Noor diamond [The Koh-i-Noor, also spelt Kohinoor and Koh-i-Nur, is one of the largest cut diamonds in the world, weighing 105.6 carats. It is part of the British Crown Jewels]. It was a bitter pill but seeing no choice and Potts promising technology and security, Churchill agreed. From there, the rest of the treaty came into place.