XXII. One Step At A Time

-------------------------------------------------------------

What the hell is Barricade doing here?! Catherine mentally screamed. There was no mistaking the metal armor décor—she couldn’t forget the mech that had ripped open her arm and infected her, and, ironically, led to her being where she was. However, she knew what kind of mech he was. He was a Decepticon. He was cruel, unmerciful, dangerous, and he had hurt… Well, he had hurt someone she’d rather not think of anymore, and with a quick shake of her head the image of the boy was gone.

“What is he doing here?” she heard Ratchet growl, lower and more threatening than she’d ever heard before. She tried to move to see him, but the metal lion was in the way, and Jolt suddenly placed his frame in the line of her view, no doubt trying to help keep her concealed.

There was no reply, though; only the sound of a strange buzzing. She frowned, not understanding at first, but when the metal lion next to her shifted, ears perked and listening intently, she recalled that their original language—Cybertronian—was an electronic tone; when spoken it sounded as a buzz to human ears or some strange electronic garble at times. While she couldn’t translate it, she could open her powers to their emotions, and by focusing on Jazz she easily senses the serious and dangerous tone of his words. If Barricade made one wrong move, she knew the mech would easily take him out even before Ironhide’s cannons could.

Sideswipe spoke next, disgust in his voice, and she had a feeling he didn’t need a sign of violence from the Decepticon to take him out. She could imagine his blades were gunning to spring out and slice through the ‘Con’s metal armor.

Ironhide grunted, the sound of his buzz low, and she could also hear his cannons whirring with anticipation to blast a hole through the Decepticon.

Ratchet replied in Cybertronian this time, his worry and fear for her hidden well under the forced calmness he’d placed upon himself. She could sense a change in the others, too, and she knew the medic had told them she was there. However, changing their state suddenly could be dangerous. Luckily, she had a feeling the Decepticon hadn’t caught on. He had started talking, but the other’s emotions hadn’t escalated or deepened. And, daringly, she touched at Barricade. She didn’t really know what to except—she wasn’t even sure she would feel something from him, although it was a silly thought—but in the end she found he felt bored. And that worried her. Surely he should have felt fear or worry or something with his life so close to being terminated. Yet, he was acting as if it was just fine. Normal, even.

Besides her, as if resonating with her own emotions, the metal lion emitted a low growl. She quickly silenced him with a firm touch to his mane, which turned his blue optics to her, curious and worried. She raised a finger to her lips, and, although he probably didn’t know what that meant, he became quiet. His optics remained facing the door, his metal ears—or she thought they were ears—cocked forwards, listening again. Her drones were less alert, content with clinging to her shoulders, shaking with unease. They were thankfully quiet as they did so.

She heard Ratchet grunt, and then the Cybertronians began to shuffle around. She thought she heard the Decepticon grumble something, but then there was a thwack of metal. Jolt finally moved, though only due to Ratchet’s calling, and she could see Barricade’s legs on the table, his upper body hidden by Sideswipe’s frame. He and Jazz were still holding him down, and Ironhide still had his cannons trained on the ‘Con. She thought she saw the white-armored mech glance in her direction, his face not hidden from her view, but then he was focused on the ‘Con.

There was a shift of metal and then she heard uncomfortable grunts that worked in tune with the Decepticon’s twitches. The Autobots held him down, though, and he did not lash out as Ratchet did whatever he was supposed to. A very small part of her regretted having to see him go through the pain, but the other, much larger part was glad he suffered. He deserved to suffer. He was a Decepticon. Whatever reason he was here, he was still the enemy, and he would be treated as such.