Chapter 44

Day: 568

Days Left: 4912

Lives Saved: 3

Corinna sat on one of the cushions on the floor in Calixte's newly built house, the blue notebook on her lap unopened. Calixte and Harmony sat nearby.

"How many notebooks do I have now?" Corinna laughed, inspecting the book but still hesitant to open the pages inside.

"These are the memories that you told Salim," explained Harmony. She placed her hands on top of Corinna's. "I know that you said you didn't need to know about your past... but I just wanted you to know that there is nothing to be afraid of. You don't have anything to be concerned about; there's nothing in here that would cause you pain."

Corinna shook her head and handed the book back to Harmony. "Thank you, Harm, but I still don't want to read it."

"But-" Harmony was about to force it back then remembered her promise to Salim. "I still don't understand why you don't want to know about your family. Calixte's memories of Violette are what keeps him going." She turned to the amphibian, hoping he would side with her.

"That is true," said Calixte. "My memories of my beloved kept me sane during my time as a water nymph. But that was my own personal experience; not everyone would feel the same to know about their past once their memories have all faded."

Harmony looked down at the blue book. "I still don't understand any of it, but I... I respect your decision."

Corinna smiled. "Thank you." She gave Harmony's cheek a peck. "It's complicated; I don't understand it myself either. Parts of me want to know, but parts of me don't." Corinna paused. "How about you keep a hold of it for me in case I change my mind later."

"Okay." Harmony nodded.

"You'll probably take better care of it than how I took care of yours," Corinna giggled.

"Yeah." Harmony smiled. "You had mine for a few minutes, and you fell into a sandwyrm tunnel."

*

"I just don't get it," Harmony sighed as she absent-mindedly accepted a bowl of food from Rin. "How could she not want to know about her life before the Abyss?"

"I don't get it either," replied Rin, serving her own portion of food before sitting down next to Harmony.

They sat outside of the caravan, near the pot of food, as they were both on serving duty tonight.

"Sumit and Ivette are the same," continued Rin. "They say that they don't want to know about their past. Though I'll never be able to regain my memories like them, I would still be scared to find out."

"You would?"

Rin looked back at Harmony. "I'm in for murder, Harmony. Whoever I was before the Abyss, she was willing to kill people."

"It might have been for a good reason..." Harmony said, but her voice wavered in uncertainty as she attempted to reassure her friend. "Maybe you tried to protect yourself or someone?"

Shrugging, Rin ate a spoonful of food. "Regardless, I've taken someone's life, as has Sumit and Ivette. Most of here are imprisoned in the Abyss for murder. Whilst regaining our memories of our loved ones might bring us comfort, having memories of killing someone... I guess it's difficult to choose between remembering your past or having a fresh start."

"A fresh start..." Harmony's fingers caressed the nape of her neck, where a brand should have been but instead were everlasting scratches. "I'd still want to know why I'm here, why I have to suffer down here."