26- Replaced

PRESENT DAY

PRESENT DAY

THE CASE. Veronica had to keep reminding herself that's the reason she was in the current predicament she was, not because of her own will, but rather a certain series of unfortunate events that lead to even more unfortunate circumstances.

Yes, the murderous family's heads had all so tragically blown up, splattering blood all over the motel room (which would definitely be a pain to clean) but was that any of their faults? No, not at all.

However, immediately leaving the place to the location Dick was currently in, so as to avoid suspicion was the more viable option. Which, led to the reason why the woman was currently ringing the man.

She waited a few moments before she could hear his voice filter through the speaker. "You've got impeccable timing." He sounded muffled, as if something was in his mouth.

"Where the hell are you, Grayson?" She huffed out, irritated that he hadn't called since him and Fox took off. That, and perhaps a tad worried and paranoid, but she would never openly admit it.

"Chicago." Was his one-worded reply.

Veronica leaned against the doorway of her motel room, "I thought you were coming back here."

"Things got a little weird at our friends apartment. His name is Dr. Adamson, by the way. Doctor of what, though, I have no idea." A few grunts of what sounded like pain or frustration—Veronica couldn't decipher which—came from his end.

Veronica let out a chuckle, "Let me guess, he tried to kill you." Her tone was sarcastic, but she wouldn't at all be surprised if it turned out to be the truth. Dick had a knack for nearly getting himself killed.

"He tried to cook me breakfast, actually. It was his friends that tried to kill me. Six of 'em. I got the feeling there's more where they came from."

"And you and Fox took down six assassins by yourself? Impressive."

"Robin's got some skills." Another grunt, and a tink of what sounded like metal.

"Grayson, what are you doing?" Veronica raised a brow, crossing her arms over her chest as she shifted her weight, her eyes wandering around the motel.

"Did you know Bruce put trackers in our arms?" He said, though it sounded as if he was trying to hold back a cry of pain, his voice pinched.

"Yeah, well aware. How do you think I saved your ass multiple times?" She grinned to herself cheekily.

"I'm cutting it out. Try saving my ass now." He laughed, a smug air to it.

"Maybe I should kick your ass instead. Why are you cutting it out? It could come in handy."

"Oh, I'd love to see you try, Parker. But," Another grunt, "It's because I don't need Bruce hovering over me like a goddamn helicopter all the time now. Anyways, any update on the family?"