Book One: Water | 2 | Black Snow

Katara, Sokka, and Ayaan were having fun playing in the snow. Katara hit Sokka square in the face, earning a small cough from Ayaan trying to suppress a laugh. Sokka prepared his retaliation with a massive snowball, but before he could attempt the toss it at her, the black snow began to fall.

It was after this that everything began to go downhill.

"I'm going to find mom!" Katara left for their house before Ayaan could stop her. Sokka ran with the warriors who were leaving, trying to figure out what was happening. Ayaan, being a bit older than them, was able to figure it out quickly. He'd never experienced it before, but their dad told him a lot of things when they were training together, so he knew.

This was a Fire Nation raid.

"Everyone, get to the back of the village!" Ayaan gathered the women and elderly. As most, if not all of them, had been through a raid before, he only had to speak once before everyone was moving, carrying their infants to the safety of the igloos and huts furthest from the battle that had already started. With a glance making sure Sokka was okay, only being around fire navy soldiers who were already taken down, skilled warriors all around him as insurance, he left for their house to get Katara and his mother to safety.

"You heard your mother. Get out of here!" Ayaan ran even faster. He didn't recognize that voice. A stranger was in their house. Katara ran out, spotting Ayaan who was already racing inside. Stealthily and quick, he spoke to his crying sister.

"Dad's at the northeast side of the village. Go, Katara. Everything will be okay."

She nodded, running as fast as she could towards where their dad was. Ayaan raced into the house, finding the firebender standing above his mother with a heartless smirk on his face.

"I'm afraid I'm not taking prisoners today." He knocked her down with a strong kick. Groaning from the attack, she didn't see the fire coming from his hands, but before he could strike again—

"GET AWAY FROM MY MOTHER!" Ayaan tackled him to the ground. The fire dissipated because of the sudden attack, but he quickly regained his bearings. He punched the abnormally strong child, managing to get him off. Ayaan recoiled from the hit, but jumped back protectively in front of his mother who was stunned for a moment before realizing what had just happened.

Ayaan attacked the man again. His body was small compared to the man, and he'd only just begun his training with his dad. This man was trained, strong, and a skilled firebender. The twelve year old was no match for him. The fight didn't last long before Ayaan was downed yet again. In a bit of panic, Ayaan shot a piece of ice at the man with his waterbending. It hit him just below his right eye, drawing blood. The firebender's eyes widened.

"There was another? Interesting." The firebender wiped the blood away. The informant only told him that there was one waterbender still in the southern water tribe. They'd only seen Katara bending that day, the boy was too subtle about it for him to notice. The firebender was angered about his information being inaccurate, but it was no matter.

"I'll just kill you both!" He sent a vicious attack to the strange white haired boy, sending him sprawling towards his now terrified mother. It made sense. If she was a bender, then it was bound that at least one of her children would be one as well. Once he got this job finished, he'd enjoy a handsome paycheck for the extra bender he took out and a nice vacation away from his annoying mother.

Seeing his opening, the firebender smiled viciously at the them. He took a breath, the fire raged. It all happened too quickly.

"NO!" Ayaan heard his mother's voice. Then there was searing pain across right cheek, his mothers screams, and the man's laughter.