chapter 2

[act one; chapter two     -     amethyst eyes] 

    Word of the bathroom incident spread immediately like a wildfire. Wherever Percy went, campers pointed and whispered and watched. But he thought, in the back of his mind, that maybe they were just staring at Annabeth, who was still dripping wet, or maybe at Andromeda, whose eyes seemed to widen with something that he interpreted as curiosity and caution.

    The two girls showed him a few more places: the metal shop (where kids were forging their own swords), the arts-and-crafts room (where satyrs were sandblasting a giant marble statue of a goat-man), and the climbing wall, which consisted of two facing walls that shook violently, dropped boulders, sprayed lava, and clashed together if the persona climbing didn't reach the top in time.

    "Has anyone ever gotten to the top?" Percy had asked.

    Andromeda laughed with a nod. "Yup." She popped the 'p'. "I have. Several times."

    Finally they returned to the canoeing lake, where the trail led back to the cabins.

    "I've got training to do," Annabeth said flatly, nothing but indifference in her words. "Dinner's at seven-thirty. Just follow your cabin to the mess hall."

    Percy took a step towards her, even as she took one back. Away from him. He faltered. "Annabeth, I'm sorry about the toilets."

    "Whatever."

    "It wasn't my fault."

    She looked at him skeptically, like she didn't quite believe him. Frankly, he wasn't sure if he believed himself either.

———

    "You need to talk to the Oracle," Andromeda said as they walked towards the docks where Annabeth was waiting for them. She cast a single glance his way, but as soon as she had looked towards him, she looked away.