32

"The unfamiliar feeling surfaces, swelling in my chest, unnamed and dangerous

"The unfamiliar feeling surfaces, swelling in my chest, unnamed and dangerous."

I stroked the lapel on his cotton shirt, "How's the sea been?"

"Rough. This trip won't be a smooth one."

"Hmm," I closed my eyes, "Perfect." I released him and stepped back.

"Where are you going?" He asked when I turned to leave.

I smiled at the tanned sails men, "For a swim."

I listened to the sound of my feet hitting the floor of the deck as I walked to the edge, basking in the warm sun just enjoying the damp, salty air. I made it to the railing and swung my legs over the bar, sitting on the edge of the boat.

If I was scared of the ocean, this would be the last place for me to be.

I took a moment to soak in the moment: the boat swung, almost violently as the currents pushed it around, making me tilt and grip the railing harder to stay where I was. The dark blue of the sea would be perfect camouflage for my tail, and the dark clouds hanging in the sky were the final cherry revealing how utterly disastrous this trip could be.

I smiled against the rough wind letting the tiny drops of rain drop and burn as the wind thrashed it against my exposed skin.

Tiny drops of water clung to my eyelashes as I opened them to the elements.

The sea made a chorus of chaos as mother nature raged through the sea.

"What are you doing? You need to get below deck before you get hurt!" I warm hand clutched my arm, burning through the peaceful cold the storm had brought over my whole body.

"I can take care of myself." I turned and looked into Caspian's dark blue eyes.

The depth and emotion in them almost rocked me more than the boat, "It isn't safe for you out here! If you fall in, the current would thrash you everywhere!"

He shook his head to move his dark wet hair out of his face. His angered and wet appearance reminded me of our first encounter, and I smiled, gently, "You don't have to worry about me. This is home to me."

He pursed his lips, clearly dissatisfied, "Why can't you just come below deck and wait out the storm?"

My eyes looked back to the dark sea, the waves were filled with the stubbornness of humanity all too familiar to me, "I'll show you." I looked back at him, seeing the same obstinacy in his eyes, "If you'll trust me."

I didn't give him time to think, instead I stood and jumped swiftly into the rushing water below.

The water stung cold against my skin, my tail forming to case over my legs as I submerged deep beneath the surface.

I stayed low as I waited.

About a minute after I jumped, Caspian's tall figure splashed in after me creating a ruckus of bubbles in the water.

I poked my head above the surface moments after him, I met his eyes and something told me he was having a hard time not panicking. I smiled, and hoped it would reassure him, "You will meet no harm right now," I smiled egotistically, "There's no storm stronger than me."

He didn't look more reassured, but I could tell he was putting a small amount of trust in me, "What did you want to show me?"

I floated closer to him due to the rough waves, "Curious princey?"

"I wouldn't have followed you if I wasn't." His voice was deep and soft, even though I could hear him over the storm.

"Close your eyes," I ordered, and waited until he did, "Listen to the melody of the sea and how it mingles with the wind and how that mixes with the sensations covering your body," I scanned his face, "Nothing up there can simulate this feeling."

He opened his eyes, revealing the depth to me once again, "I can think of a few things."

We were swayed closer together by the water, "Like what?" I whispered.

"Like this." I felt his warm breath against my face before he leaned down and connected our lips. Gently, with a passion being held back.

Like the storm.

It felt weird to be out of control in a situation like this, so I quickly took the reins and wrapped my arms around his neck.

I was the one to pull away, "We should get you back on board to dry before you catch a cold."