33

"One thing everyone has in common is we're all hopelessly lost without each other

"One thing everyone has in common is we're all hopelessly lost without each other."

The water was mostly still as I swam around.

I wiped the salty water away from my cheek and leaned back to lay on the top of the softly swaying water.

I felt fully at peace in the waves as they rocked and cradeled me.

A splash sounded a few feet away from me, and I decided to ignore whoever was joining me in the water.

I felt their presence before their hands came to my shoulders, "What a pretty girl."

A flash fire of annoyance started and died in me before a genuine smile breached my lips, "I didn't think Caspian would let you back in the crew after last time."

His hands traveled to my back, "We both know that I was under the influence."

I opened my eyes slowly to look at him, "You're not under the influence right now." I turned to him and swam upright, allowing him to replace his hands on my rib cage.

"Oh but I don't need to be, you see, I did some research on sirens. Your kind is desperate for any kind of affection from a man."

I drifted closer to him, making his hands slip onto my lower back, "I wonder where you learned that, Joshua."

He gave a cocky smirk, "A book."

I pouted, "Aww, you read for me." I scrunched my nose, "I didn't know you could."

"I also read that sirens are prettier than mermaids."

I smiled, "Hmm, well that's true." I leaned close, "You're making this too easy for me."

He moved his hands closer to the scales encasing my bottom, "Easier for what?"

I wrapped my arms around his shoulders leaving one hand over his collar bone, "For this."

I brought my lips closely to his letting him close the distance. After that I made my move, bobbing above the water before pushing down and making us both submerge.

He pulled away and I started singing, numbing his mind to anything else.

He started delightfully seizing due to water intake, his eyes rolled back into his skull.

As we were still to far from the spot I'd usually chain him, I left him down near the bottom of the ocean before I swam back up.

Water dripped off of me in pools as I climbed the ladder before getting to the top of the deck.

Caspian was waiting for me when I got up, "You drowned Joshua."

I smiled and wrung my hair out, making a small puddle on the dark wood, "I did, didn't I? I told you I would." I walked past him and listened to my feet making slapping noises against the deck.

"Was it necessary?"

"Yeah."