Chapter 47: Secrets of the Zonai and the Sheikah

Author's Note: This was written well before Tears of the Kingdom so uh the representation of the Zonai is a lot different.

"Zonai?" Link asked the armed barbarians surrounding him and Mipha "I thought the Zonai were an ancient civilization from Faron Woods that died out thousands of years ago!"

"We were" the Zonai Leader said "We mainly had our great cities in the Faron Region, but we had structures all around Hyrule. Most notably were the three Labyrinths, the Lomei Labyrinth way up in Hebra, the Lomei Labyrinth down in Gerudo, and then Lomei Labyrinth Island off the coast of Akkala"

"The inhabitants of the Lomei Labyrinth Island survived the massacre that wiped out the rest of the Zonai" another Zonai explained "The Sheikah combatted our magic with their technology, and nearly killed us all. The Zonai of Lomei Labyrinth Island hid in a secret compartment beneath the island where a small group of Sheikah brought some Guardians and the Travel Medallion"

"Our ancestors hid away the Travel Medallion, killed the small group of Sheikah, and deactivated the Guardians" the Zonai Leader continued "For thousands of years we survived on Lomei Labyrinth Island, until three years ago we finally dug our way out of the Maze and reached the mainland of Akkala. We traveled here to Lanayru, and have been hiding under the East Reservoir Lake since"

"Whoa" Mipha said "And you can speak Hylian as well as the ancient Zonai Language!"

"Yes" the Zonai Leader said "My name is Boaru by the way, Chief of the Zonai.  Although the Sheikah are our worst enemies, we still despise the Hylians because of how their ancient King signed that foul document to allow the Sheikah to wipe out the Cities of Faron  with their new Divine Beast inventions"

"For servants of Hylia, the Sheikah are a pretty dark tribe" Link said "I mean, sure, they protect the descendants of the Goddess and help protect Hyrule from evil, but they still tried to wipe out the Zonai, and they did some pretty horrible stuff for King Daltus during the Civil War"

I'm still not going to talk about that Sheikah Graveyard Fortress where I found the remains of King Daltus, General Darbus, and the former Zora Queen

"Maybe this is why the ancient Hylians banned the Sheikah Technology and forced the Sheikah to bury their creations" Mipha realized "Maybe those Hylians saw what the Sheikah did to the Zonai, and then decided that the Tech was too much"

"From what we've learned, the Sheikah also destroyed many records of the Zonai" Boaru said

"Yeah" Mipha agreed "The only evidence modern scientists had of their existence was a few ancient sets of Barbarian Armor, the Labyrinths, and the Zonai Ruins of Faron Woods"

"Now can we go?" Link asked Boaru "I kinda have to stop Emperor Ganondorf and fulfill the Prophecy of the Legendary Hero"

"You are not leaving, Hylian and Zora" Boaru said "As we previously stated, we do not like Hylians or any other tribe to fair. So we will kill you both"

"We can help you guys though!" Link said "After the forces of evil are gone, you guys can rebuild your Zonai Cities and live in peace with the other tribes!"

"We do not want Peace" Boaru growled "The Zonai gave up on Peace when Sheikah Chief Rolga and King Gustavar Hyrule decided to get rid of our kind"

Link and Mipha expected the Zonai Warriors to attack with some primitive barbarian spears or something like that, but instead Boaru arms began to glow and he shot green beams out of his hands

"Feel the magic of Courage!" Boaru yelled "It is far more pure than that artificial sheikah technology of Wisdom!"

"I am the only chance of Hyrule's survival!" Link said "As the chosen Hero of the Triforce of Courage, I can stop Ganon and the malice of Power!"

"You are the chosen hero?" Boaru said "We do not care. We still use the power of Courage and once worshiped Farore, but we decided that Hylia and the Golden Goddesses were not our Gods when Hylia's servants tried to kill us"

"The Sheikah always protect the Royal Family!" Link said "The Zonai probably did something to make the Royals feel threatened! Besides, that was millennia ago!"

"The Sheikah always protect the Royal Family?" Boaru asked "Then how do you explain the Yiga Clan?"

Boaru and his soldiers prepared to use their ancient magic again, but Link shot a laser out of the Master Sword and blew open the hole to the Lake.

Link and Mipha swam into the East Reservoir Lake and the hole shut behind them.

"I can't believe the Zonai are alive" Mipha said as they got back to the Reservoir

"I can't believe they tried to kill us after we exchanged history lessons" Link said

"It it just me" Mipha said "Or has the East Reservoir Lake bee drained and made really shallow?"

"I sense Agahnim's magic" Link growled "He must've drained the lake a bit with his magic after we exited the lake"

"I see the hole is open!" Mipha exclaimed "And I see dozens of Soldiers in the draining Lake!"

"The Zonai!" Link shouted "We have to help them! They may be unkind, but it would be wrong to let a group of people go extinct!"

Link and Mipha walked into the now drained East Reservoir Lake, and saw the Soldiers exiting the hole, when they had just entered it.

When the Soldiers were out of sight, Link and Mipha entered the Zonai hole again

"Boaru!" Link and Mipha were in the hole, and they saw Boaru and  all of the Zonai, dead

"Agahnim" Link snarled as he saw the red-robed wizard standing over the bodies

"I guess dark magic is better than zonai magic" Agahnim said "That's neat"

"You murderer!" Link shouted in rage "Do you realize how many people have died and suffered because of Emperor Ganondorf's forces and you guys?"

"You can't reason with me" Agahnim laughed "Sure, some monsters have evolved to be more like wild animals, but monsters like me are still made of pure evil from the power of Demise"

Agahnim knocked over Link and Mipha with a blast of magic, and teleported elsewhere.

When Link and Mipha had left the dried up lake, it suddenly filled with water again, and the East Reservoir Lake was back.

"I think I'm going to stay in Lanayru for now and help Sidon and the Zora fight back" Mipha said to Link "Are you going to save Revali or Urbosa next?"

"Neither" Link said "At least, not yet"

"Where are you going next then?"

"I'm going to Necluda, to visit the Sheikah Settlement of New Kakariko" Link said "I want to have a word with Impa, Paya, Robbie, Purah, and the rest of the Sheikah. I want to know why their ancestors have done such horrid things"

"The Past is the past" Mipha said "We move on from even the worst things. Well, except the old Link.... I'll never get over what happened to him......"

"The Past is the Past?" Link asked "Sure, you can say that about what their ancestors did the Zonai millennia ago, but that can't be used for the Hyrule Civil War. Especially when Impa became Chief of the Sheikah during that war"

"What happened in that war?" Mipha asked "Sure, they tortured some other tribe members in their creepy Fortress like that Goron General, but it's alright. That's war"

"They actually got a world leader or two during that war" Link said "In fact, they even killed the Queen of the Zoras, who happened to be your mom, Sidon's mom, and King Dorephan's wife"

Mipha stopped walking and looked down at the ground

"I'm going to visit the Sheikah" Link said "I don't care if Hylia sent them to protect us all, I will find out why they did everything they did"

Mipha walked off, a saddened look in her eyes, and Link returned to the Lanayru Wetlands and boarded Epona.

He knew all the darkest secrets of the Sheikah Tribe now.... But he still needed to know why they could ever have done such things.