"Visit..."

"Well, well. I see that the good doctor is hard at work." I exclaimed as I entered the open door leading to Jasper's office. He was holding the hand of a pretty nurse who seemed to be enjoying his attention.

He looked surprised to see me walking towards him, but his surprise turned to delight as I saw his expression change into a wide smile.

"Nurse Patty, I'd like you to meet miss Blanche's handsome and very successful  grandson... Jade Jenner." He spoke to the petite nurse while extracting his hand to wave me closer.

"Mr. Jenner, I've heard so many good things about you. It's my pleasure to meet you." The nurse politely said as she extended her hand for a handshake.

"I'm sure that was just my grandma ranting. It's nice to meet you too, and please call me Jade."

"No. I heard everything from doctor Jasper here. He wouldn't stop talking about his kind landlord who also happens to be a fantastic cook." The nurse giggled.

"Really now? You and the doctor must be pretty close for him to bore you with stories about me." I raised my left brow at Jasper.

"He talks to everyone about you everyday. Since the day he met you actually. He hasn't stopped talking..."

"Alright nurse Patty, I'm sure Jade here gets the idea. Be a dear and give the laxative to mr. Boyle as we've discussed earlier. I will drop by miss Carlyle's room later to check on her mild cough." Jasper interrupted the nurse.

"My grandma was right, your room here is but a closet. My apartment in New York is admittedly small and expensive, but it is three times the size of the room they're offering you here. In that regard therefore, I must insist you stay at Nana's house. Well, only 'till I've decided on what to do with it, or until you've found a better place."

"I doubt that. A spacious room, a great view of the sunset, delicious meal, and a kind landlord... a better place would be impossible to find."

"Then you'll just have to stay with me indefinitely as Nana planned." I started lifting containers from my blue sling bag made of canvas.

"What's that?" Jasper asked, watching me like a hawk.

"Lunch."

"Oh god, did we have an appointment? Was I expected to have lunch with you today?" He looked worried.

"No. I just cooked more than I normally do, and decided to bring you some. I brought you a small portion of beef stew, some veggie salad with a separate container of French dressing, a warm onion soup. And here's something you may share with your pretty nurse... a whole apple pie I baked just minutes ago." I deposited the warm pie on his large outstretched hands.

"Oh I'm not one for sharing. Specially if it's you."

"That's not me. I merely baked the pie, but I get what you're trying to say. And here, fresh lemonade. Did you know we have a foreman at the property? His name's Ed. He came to visit a while back, and brought Karen with him."

"Karen?" He asked.

"Apparently Nana's property boasts of several acres of various produce. An orchard of apples, oranges, bananas. Some crops, vegetables, and rare flowers as well. Each plot of land is taken cared of by one family each. Karen and her family is in-charge of apple production."

"I knew about Ed. Miss Blanche introduced him to me when I first moved in, but I didn't know of Karen or the plantation that your grandma owns."

"Stop that! You'll lose your appetite. Eat your meal first and let the pie cool. Anyways, Ed explained to me that these families are given free stay in each alloted plot of land. In return they must till, plant, and harvest their own choice of crops, or fruits. Then when they harvest their products, Ed will be in-charge of selling them, and Nana gets fifty percent of the profit."

"Not a bad deal. I mean, they don't pay rent, or labor. I think it's a fair agreement." He was fixing his table to accommodate the dish I piled on top of it.

"Ed told me everyone was happy with the set up, and that there has never been any complaints. He continued to tell me of the high profit we yield every year."

"Well, congratulations then. It would seem you inherited a self-sustaining property." Jasper handed me a fork and knife from the things I packed for him, then ran to quickly fetch some utensils from the small sink in the corner of his office.

"I've already eaten Jasper. This is all for you." I argued.

"Atleast have a piece of pie." He insisted.

"I thought you didn't like sharing?"

"You're an exception." He replied quickly without looking at me.

"That's really nice, but..." I didn't get to finish my sentence as Jasper unceremoniously shoved a bite-size piece of apple pie into my open mouth.

"Not how I wanted to silence you, but that'll have to do for now. By the way, I might be out of the house for more than three days. My younger brother is coming for a visit. I need to check him in at one of the motels in town when he gets here."

"Nonsense. He can stay with us. The guestroom is quite big enough for both of you. Unless, you'd rather have him stay at one of the other four available rooms? He's more than welcome to choose if he feels the need for privacy." I replied.

"Are you sure you don't mind? It's only for a few couple of days. And yes, he can stay with me in my room."

"I'm sure. Besides, he's family. Well, he's your family I mean, so it's fine." I smiled.

"Thanks Jade. That's really... well, thanks."

"Speaking of family, why didn't you tell me that miss Naydeen was your aunt?"

"You didn't ask. You merely inquired as to how I met your grandmother." He answered eating from the same utensil he fed me from.

"Still, don't you think that's a bit of a big info for you to keep from me?"

"No. Not really. Regardless of who she is, and how I'm related to her, it has very little effect on my treatment of you or of my decision to work here.

"She may own the retirement home, but my decision to work here was mainly because of the fact that it was less hectic and stressful to work here than at the hospital. Plus, there's a lot of pretty nurses here."

"I see." I was quiet after that revelation. I guess working with pretty nurses around was a perk for him.

I watched as he continued eating while standing up, he scooped everything greedily without looking at me.

"I guess I'll be leaving then. I have to speak to Ed later about the ledger so I can familiarize myself with the... uhm, well anyways, enjoy your day. See you at home later." I started to walk out of the room, as Jasper ran after me.

"Hey, what's the rush! Was it something I said?"

"No. No. Of course not. I just, remembered my appointment with the foreman. You stay here, and keep working hard."

"I don't need work for that, just your presence." He chuckled.

"I don't get it."

"Forget it. I'll see you at home. And Jade... I don't date nurses." I saw him smile widely as I turned to walk out of his office, my face feeling flushed, with a smile slowly spreading.