CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR.

The tavern was quiet, eerily so. There were only a few patrons at the table. The barkeep was silent and the boy was sat alone on a stool. His hands rested in his lap and an empty glass in front of him. The Grisha glanced around, checking every corner. They were trying to see Ivan but he was nowhere to be found. That put them on edge.

"If Ivan left the kid while he went to piss, I'll cut him," Roma threatened as he crossed the tavern to the bar. He then took a seat next to the boy but he didn't even look. There was no movement. Everyone was perfectly still and Liliya slowly began to move through. Her steps were cautious but she kept the flint and steel in her other hand.

"I don't think your heartrender will be around for much longer," One of the patrons said. Liliya's head snapped to where the voice came from. A man standing, a pistol at his side and Liliya narrowed her eyes. She could hear in his accent that he was Shu.

"Where is he?" Liliya asked as she turned around. Kirigan looked to the man, meeting his gaze but the Shu didn't seem scared. That was new. That was not something Liliya had expected. Whenever Kirigan appeared, they were always so afraid but they were prepared. And if she was right in her suspicions, they had poison that couldn't be so easily healed.

"Don't move," Another man suddenly said when Lev began to slide out of his chair. A gun pointed at Liliya and she glanced over at Lev, giving him a look.

"What was the point in ambushing us? You could have left before we arrived," Liliya said as she stepped closer. Her fingers twitching, antsy and ready to strike a flame and burn the man if she could. Her gaze flicked back to Kirigan briefly before looking to Roma and Tomas. Tomas was stood completely still and just observing.

She could see the cogs turning in his head while he tried to find a way out. Roma was ready to fight and Lev was becoming antsy sat by the child. His fingers digging into his pocket. They were all ready for a fight but Liliya knew that would end badly.

"It's much more satisfying to kill six Grisha rather than just one," The man responded as he stepped closer. The gun lifting higher and she met his gaze, keeping calm. Her heart was thumping against her ribcage and she kept her head up high.

"Than why not kill us already? I know you have the poison to do it," She responded. The man seemed confused by her words and his gaze flicked to one of the other Shu men, "Oh..." Liliya said and she turned her head to Kirigan. He gave her a look and she cocked an eyebrow. His look was dismissive but he knew that they would have to return to it later. When they weren't in the middle of a shoot-out with the very real possibility of being killed. The Cut couldn't be used in the tavern. The place was too enclosed and there were too many other people. Kirigan couldn't risk it.

"Drop the flint and steel. All of you," The man said, stepping closer again. Liliya felt the barrel of the gun hit her forehead and she dropped the flint and steel to the floor. It clattered and she heard the other three drop. Her eyes squeezed shut as she waited to see what would happen next. Then the gunshot.