Chapter 15:: Holes. Leaks. Sealant.

Chapter 15// Holes. Leaks. Sealant.

“Where are we?”

I glance over at Jennifer with a contented smile, thinking of how happy she’ll be once that blindfold is taken off. “Guess,” I challenge, and Jennifer groans. She’s been guessing all car ride, and hasn’t suspected once that I’d actually take her to her workplace. Or her workplace before I broke her leg, that is. Jennifer works in a nursery and she loves her job with a passion. I know she’s been missing her colleagues and the kids like crazy, so I thought it would be a great little surprise for her to bring her on a little visit. I rang the nursery first to ask if they’d be okay having Jennifer in, and they said as long as the wheelchair isn’t brought in, it should be fine. The wheelchair is a hazard to the kids, so Jennifer’s going to have to survive on crutches and chairs today. Still, I know she’ll be really happy when the blindfold is taken off, no matter how exhausted she may feel tonight.

“Are we here?” Jennifer asks me bluntly, and I nod- forgetting for a second that she can’t see me.

“Yeah, we’re here,” Jesse speaks aloud from the back seat, rolling his eyes at my mistake. “In fact, you should probably take your blindfold off now.” He looks at me and gestures towards two colleagues walking down the path towards the car, probably to greet Jennifer and help her inside the nursery. I grin as Jennifer fumbles with the blindfold: I can’t wait to see her reaction. It takes a second for the familiar scene to register before her, but once it does her eyes light up and she gasps.

 “You’ve taken me to the nursery?”

“I have,” I nod, smiling. “I know you’ve been missing it. I thought you could spend the day with your friends and the kids. You’ll have to stay sat down most of the time though, because you won’t have your wheelchair, so-“Before I can finish my sentence, Jennifer unclips her seatbelt and throws her arms around me, as best as she can across the centre of my car. I pat her back awkwardly, laughing.

“Thank you Lois,” Jennifer squeezes my arms, “That’s so sweet of you.”

Two of her colleagues knock on the window, and she looks up at them happily, opening her door without hesitation. Her face is glowing with happiness as each of them greet her: leaning into the car for a hug. In the meantime, Jesse has got out of the car and is handing the colleagues her crutches, so that she can walk up the small path towards the nursery. Jesse and I aren’t staying with her today: we thought we’d leave her to it, since she’s probably getting sick of our hovering. Instead, Jesse is taking me to the garage where he and Ben work, and where I’ll inevitably meet his Dad.

Steve Dales arrived back from the city a couple of days ago, but seeing as I haven’t been to Jesse’s house for a few days because of the sleepover and work and stuff, I haven’t had a chance to meet him until now. I’m more than a little nervous, because I’m afraid he’ll act like Jesse did in the beginning, when he first found out it was my fault. I’m trying my best to help Jennifer as much as I can, so if I’m expected to do more then I don’t know what I’ll do. Especially seeing as my Dad is at home too at the moment- so I want to spend as much time as possible with him. In fact, I bet mine and Jesse’s Dad’s would get on really well: they both work in car businesses after all.

I watch Jennifer as she hobbles up the path towards her nursery, chatting animatedly to her supporting colleagues. Just as Jesse clambers into the shotgun seat, she turns and waves, and I grin back at her. “Are you ready to go?” Jesse asks me, clicking his seatbelt into place, and I snap out of my thoughts and nod. It’s time to meet Jesse’s Dad, greet Ben and work on some car parts at a garage.

Have I mentioned that I wouldn’t know an engine from a car tire?

“So, what’s your Dad like?” I ask Jesse nervously, pulling away from the curb and back towards the main Hamilton high-street. I glance over at Jesse, to see him frowning. Uh oh- does that mean his Dad is strict? Is he horrible? Anxiety twists in my stomach like a knife: I haven’t felt this nervous since I announced to Jennifer and Jesse that I was the one who participated in the accident. If Jennifer’s son went berserk at the news, there’s no telling what her husband will do. In fact, there’s a high possibility that he’ll hate me. I gulp. Chin up Lois. Come on, think positive.