Oops, Die Now

"Of course we do," scoffed andromeda. "I would be disappointed if we didn't have to" 

   I chuckled awkwardly and rubbed the back of my head. For some reason I got the nagging feeling that I missed something important, something that is crucial for the future.

   Putting it off as an irrational thought, I put away my sword and walked forward. Andromeda followed close by as I stepped out into the reddish terrain. 

   To describe it in a few words, the whole place looked like it was taken from a movie set of Mars. The bones of various creatures, not all known, that were scattered on the floor said otherwise. 

   Huge rocks dotted the landscape, their colours a darker shade than the ground. From a distance, I saw numerous caves. With no intention to find out where they led to, we trekked on.

   "So," I started, in an attempt to spark a conversation. "Your middle name is Fish?" 

   I internally slapped myself for being so stupid but what I said, I could not take back. "You got a problem with that buddy?" Asked Andromeda, with eyes narrowed like a serpent. 

   I vigorously shook my head in refusal. I could almost see Leo mimicking a whip-like motion

   Talking about Leo, I still wasn't able to sense him in the underworld. Oh and before you ask, yes...I can do that.

   That could only mean two things. Either he is alive, or his soul disintegrated from existence. Personally, I favour the former. 

   How on earth do I know all of this? I have no idea. Ask the author for that.

   "You know," I heard Andromeda say softly. "I was really worried when I woke up"

   "You were nowhere to be seen and I was in that place. I thought you..." her voice started to break. Only then did I see the tears that were starting to form in her eyes. I was taken aback but didn't interrupt.

   "I thought you abandoned me," she said In a shaky tone. "Just like my dad." I heard her say softly in the end. I wanted to ask what she meant by that, but she looked fragile and so I didn't press. 

   "Andromeda," I said, stopping and taking her hand, making her look at me. "I would never let anything happen to you. I promise you that" I said sincerely. Andromeda gazed into my eyes for a second before slowly smiling and nodding.

   I then turned back towards the road but slipped my hand into hers. Our fingers interlocked and  I immediately knew the answer to my question.

   Yes, I would sacrifice the world if it meant that Andromeda could be happy.

   The rest of the journey was quite uneventful. That was until we heard voices. I motioned for Andromeda to keep silent and we crouched behind a rock. The voices continued and I looked over the rock to find the source to see a bunch of...humans?

   A group of ten walked in formation a few feet ahead of us. Questions invaded my mind. Why in the world are there people down here? Or another good question might be as to how they were here. 

   Was there a secret highway to hell that I didn't know about?

   I decided to think about it later. Right now, the priority was to get through. Without harming the mortals, if possible. From what I saw, they were probably mercenaries. Their faces were covered by cloth masks, showing only their eyes and mouth. 

   I could only come up with two possible actions: wait for them to pass or fight them.

   Normally, I would have waited but we were extremely low on time. Moreover, the mortals weren't showing any signs of leaving. They even decided to rest here. I saw one of them lie against a rock and eat a sandwich...What?

   "What do we do now?" Asked Andromeda from beside me. I almost laughed at that point. Why is it that people always look up to me for answers. There was nothing special about me. I was just as clueless as the rest, maybe more. That being said, this question was one that I had an answer to.

   "Well, we've got no choice but to go through the mortals" I said. 

   "You mean without hurting them right?," asked Andromeda cautiously. "Celestial steel can't exactly harm humans"

   "True...but this can" I said while once again summoning the Sword of Eden. The blade hummed softly in my hand while I observed it. Though it had been a while since I had last admired its beauty, the brilliance of the sword never diminished. It was still as remarkable as the first time that I picked it.

   "But they are mortals! Do we really have to fight them?" Asked Andromeda worriedly. While I agreed with her, I knew I had to be prepared to do what was needed if the situation demanded it.

   "I will aim to incapacitate, not kill...unless it's inevitable." I said. My words had no effect in calming down Andromeda, who still looked worried. Sighing, I slowly crept towards one of the men who was sitting.

   Once I was close enough, I quickly covered his mouth from behind and knocked the pommel of my sword to his head. He immediately fell unconscious and I carefully but swiftly dragged the body, depositing it in the shadow of a huge rock.

   I then proceeded to do the same for two others. Things started looking up for us. At this pace, we could make it through in time without having to kill anyone. Yay.

   But as you all know, my luck never lasts. 

   One of the mercenaries spotted me and by the looks of it, was not pleased. "Hey you! Stop there kid!" He yelled, alarming his other teammates.

  I know that this was not the time but I was not a kid anymore! One would never call a whale small or a lion weak. I'm almost 19 now!

   Before I could protest to the unjust labels, I had around seven guns pointed at me. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Andromeda slowly move towards the back of the group. She was undetected...for now at least.

   "Hands where we can see them!" Yelled one of the mercenaries. My eyes narrowed as I contemplated my options. The sword in my hand hummed and a sudden surge of anger consumed me.

   The next few moments were a blur.

   I fuzzily remember throwing my sword at one of the mortals, impaling his shoulder. I also remember getting shot, but I have no recollection of feeling pain. I don't even have bullet marks to show for it.

   The only thing I remember clearly was standing over one of the humans, sword pointed at his neck. Around me, a litter of bodies lay on the floor. 

   "Please don't hurt me! I've got a family to look after!" He begged with me, his eyes filled with fear. But I knew it was a lie. I grabbed him by the neck and lifted him off the ground.

   I can't explain it but I...saw him. I saw his entire life flash before my eyes. Every thing he did — good and bad. The surprise soon turned to disgust and anger as I watched him commit crimes worthy of damnation. 

   On any other day, I would have let some superior being decide this man's fate. But right now, I was that being myself. I get to decide his fate. And his fate...was decided.

   "Your punishment to come is well deserved" I said and drove my sword through his chest.

<Remember to vote>