Chapter 26

Emma POV

"You said earlier that you wanted to 'take me for a spin' but Josh got to me first. What's stopping you?"

I stared at her in shock. No way she was going to sleep with this dumbass. Is she crazy?

"Are you crazy?" I asked under my breath, so the murderers wouldn't hear.

"Wait here and watch these two. I'll be right back."

The man walked forward and picked her up and started dragging her towards the staircase. I was about to get up and attack the asshole, but the blond boy, Kyle, scooted closer to me and placed one of his hands over my arm.

"I want to attack them as much as you," he whispered, "but we have to trust Hazel."

I nodded my head and then swallowed the bile in my throat.

* * *

"Bye, Emma."

Before closing the door I waved to Jane. "Bye."

If only I knew that that was going to be the last time I would see Jane alive. She went missing that night, no one knew where she went. Police assumed she just ran away, but I knew Jane. She was happy.

They stopped looking for her days after she went missing, I didn't though. I walked through the woods and every inch of the park, for any sign that Jane had been there.

After a few weeks of this, I finally just gave up. I questioned everything. Our friendship, our connection. Maybe she did just ran away. Did she find out about me? Is that why she ran away? Because I don't like guys? Because I liked her? I loved her?

I asked these questions on repeat for weeks, all the way until the day I felt like killing myself. The day the cops came to the school and told us all about what had happened to Jane.

She had been kidnapped, raped and murdered.

The police informed us to not go out late at night by ourselves, but I was too overwhelmed with grief to listen to anything they were saying. Jane couldn't be dead. She just couldn't.

After what happened, her parents moved out of town. I don't exactly know why but they did, and then a light brown haired girl with hazel colored eyes moved into Jane's old house. I had always invited Hazel to my house because of my brother, but the real reason was that I couldn't go anywhere near her house. It hurt too much to be anywhere near that house.

That's why I felt nothing when Josh died.

A monster like him took Jane. My Jane.