sixty-eight

Part 2 of 2

Part 2 of 2

"I don't know why you think everything I eat is weird. When you heard that Selena Gomez's favorite snack was popcorn and pickle juice you actually started eating it and claimed that it was your favorite too." I say looking at Paola who rolled her eyes and stuck her tongue out at me while she opened up a bag of taco shells, setting them down one by one on a platter

When Ryan dropped me off at Paola's she claimed that she was hungry and hadn't made tacos in a while. So we decided to make a buffet-style lunch by setting things like lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, meat that she prepared, shrimp, and sardine and tomato sauce mixture that I prepared for myself.

Jesse had told me he was going to pick me up after he was done with some prior engagements so we decided that the six of us, including Cyrus, Justine, and Ryan, could have a night in together before we go back to his place.

Justine said she was on her way but that she would pick up drinks before coming here.

"Hey, Paola can you call Ryan or something? Every time I call Jesse it goes straight to voicemail." I say looking at my phone in confusion as I look at the time. It was already 3:45 PM and he isn't back yet?

Opening up the "Find My" app on my phone, I look to see his location is marked unavailable. "He never turns his phone off," I say and watch as Paola grabs her phone and dials Ryan's number that she somehow knows by heart.

After almost four rings, Ryan's voice can be heard through the speaker, "Hey, Baby." I almost 'aw' at the sentiment before I realize how stressed his voice sounds, "Is Karma still there with you?"

Paola nods her head before realizing he can't see her, "Yeah, she's here. We were making food for your guys when you get back how much longer is it going to be until you guys get here? Oh. And tell Jesse to turn his phone on, Karma's been calling him."

"Um." Ryan starts and then curses under his breath, "Fuck, I can hear myself. Am I on speaker?"

Paola side-eyes me and shrugs saying, "Yeah."

Ryan sighs staying silent for a few minutes before answering, "I-I'll see you guys when I get there, alright?"

Paola and I raise my eyebrows at his response and I decide to speak to him, moving Paola's phone closer to me, "Hey, Ryan? Is Jesse busy? He's with you, right? Why is his phone off?"

I hear a few cars honking and I realize he's driving. He sighs and clears his throat briefly before saying, "Karma--" he says before getting cut off, someone else's voice in the background, before Ryan speaks to me again, "Look, wait until Justine gets there alright? When I get back you can ask me anything you want and I'll try my best to answer but right now I'm not the one you need to hear this from. I love you guys." Ryan finishes before hanging up the phone and I can't hide the worried look on my face as Paola mirror the same expression.