XLII

Tʜᴇ ғᴇᴇʟɪɴɢs ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴇxɪsᴛ

M/n's heart felt lighter as he and Escal walk back into the Liyue Harbor; making light conversion about how things with Scaramouche would play out for them all

Once they met up with Zhongli and Scaramouche, the four head to the inn.
"Oh, fair warning. Xiao can be a bit- no really blunt."

"Uh okay?"Soon as M/n opens the door Zylith rushed over to him; nestlings his face into M/n's stomach with a giggle as Aether and Xiao could be heard arguing loudly.
"Zyl, what did you do?"

"I said that you have a favorite person and that I wouldn't tell them who."Scaramouche peers over M/n's shoulder to look at the child hugging the king then he looks back up to see the two arguing Anemo uses. M/n clears his throat and the two look over; like two little kids caught with their hands in the cookie jar.
However, Aether was now on guard when seeing Scaramouche.
"What are you doing here."

"Ah! It's you, I had no idea you were associated with the lovely king."

"M/n that man is dangerous-"Aether starts while M/n makes a small remark under his breath but Zhongli steps forward while pulling out a thin stack of paper.
"Don't worry Aether, Scaramouche has signed a contract. It states that if he makes any move to harm the king or anyone, we are to deal with him as we see fit."

"..... Alright, he escaped being stabbed today."Aether mumbles angrily while moving back and plopping onto the couch. Xiao glares harshly at Scaramouche but makes no move since the contract was now protecting him.
"Alright-"

"Also why is Escal here?"

"Um..."

"Mist grass?"Zylith questions while looking up curiously at Scaramouche, said make looks over at Escal only to receive a smirk from the silvernette.
This child seems familiar....
Scaramouche thought to himself for a while but when he couldn't find a reason, he left it alone. As the living room grew in chatter, Escal escapes onto the balcony and was followed by Zhongli.
"Oh, hello Zhongli."The way Escal said his name brought up hidden memories, it reminded him of Helios to further this, he noticed that M/n and Escal held an aura of happiness when before M/n was wary of him.
"Helios..."

"I don't go by that name anymore. Continue to call me Escal, just like you were once called Rex lapis."

"It's been so long...How are you alive?"Escal took to explaining it as vaguely as he could but It was enough for Zhongli. The Geo dragon makes a move to hug his once dead lover, only to have Escal step back.
"Let's get one thing clear, Zhongli. The feelings I once had for you, no longer exist. I'm not here for you or anyone else...In fact, it's time I tell someone about this...seven hundred years ago...I was going to overthrow my parents to protect my dearest brother. I was to be the tyrant of Vestal but they got to me first. If only I were quicker back then, M/n wouldn't have become what he did. I feel at fault for how his life turned out and you!"The air becomes ice-cold as Escal glares harshly at his old lover.
"How dare you! M/n has merely mentioned how you've attempted to kill him over something out of his control. Though your relationship seems well now, take heed of my warning! I will kill anyone who dares harm him in my presence! May the roots of your misdeeds tear at your heart slowly until you are nothing."Escal shoulder checks Zhongli on the way to the balcony door and enters the inn.

Zhongli sat there in shock, the man he once loved threatened his life. Now Zhongli truly understood how M/n felt and tears fell down his cheeks as he leaned against the rail; tears he hadn't realized were falling down his face until a teardrop fell onto his hand.

Back inside of the Inn, Scaramouche was bombarded with questions from Zylith as the kitten swats at the fabric of his hat. To M/n, it was absolutely adorable to him to watch Scaramouche struggle to keep up with all the questions that were thrown at him.
"Wow, the mighty Scaramouche is stumbling before a child~"

"Aether, stop teasing and let him focus. You know once Zylith becomes curious, he won't stop until he's satisfied."

"What's your intentions with papa M/n?"The room goes silent from this question. Scaramouche looked at M/n then back at the little phoenix in his lap in utter shock.
"P-papa?"

"Hmmhh!"

"Uhh, I wish to have a budding relationship after our contract is over."Zylith tilts his head ever so slightly, making his bright blonde hair shift to the side. Now that Scaramouche thought it, this kid in his lap resembles the now missing Duke.
"Uhh, who is the kids' father?"Aether's hands flew over Zylith's ears to prevent him from hearing the answer. Though Zylith knows he'll be duke when he gets older, he doesn't know all the details of who he truly is.
"Huh, oh! No, the Zylith in your lap is...Well, he's the duke. Okay, let me explain what happened."M/n found it was better to shorten the story as to not take up time since it was late and Zylith was supposed to be in bed.
"Oh...Wow, he's quite adorable now...Who would have thought he was the Duke of Snezhnaya..."