41. Reflections

George waited for Cosette to respond, her line of sight not focusing on any one spot but rather jumping all over his face. He knew that either the drinks were really getting to her or she was thinking about a time that Fred did lash out. Or both.

"You know what he told me?" Cosette asked, taking a breath in an attempt to stay calm, but it was unlikely that was going to happen. "He thought about it, you know, and he told me that you got in his head. Which means you're the one who was jealous and you projected it onto him. I guess some things never fucking change."

Regardless of who was right, this wasn't about Fred anymore.

George dragged his fingers through his hair as he took a step away from Cosette.

"I just don't like seeing you with someone else," George blurted out, but he was being honest. He had to stay quiet for years as he watched his brother date her and it broke him.

"You literally brought Lottie to this fucking party," Cosette laughed in response.

"I didn't have a choice!" George raised his voice again and he felt his face grow hot with anger. "She showed up at the last possible second. I was about to leave to go and find you and next thing I know, she's at the flat and everyone is ready to go and I couldn't do anything to stop it. We've been surrounded by people since we got here and as much as I am dying to end things with her, I'm not about to do it in the middle of a party."

"So when are you going to break up with her?" She asked him. "Tonight? Tomorrow? Am I supposed to wait a week for you to grow some fucking balls and end that relationship? You know, I'm tired of these games George and I'm tired of telling you that I'm tired of these games. It shouldn't be this fucking hard."

"I'm not the one making it difficult, Setty," George sneered, eyeing Cosette slowly. "At least I know what I want."

Cosette stood up straighter and inhaled a shaky breath when George took a step towards her. She was more than frustrated at the situation they found themselves in but as her eyes raked over his body, her heart pounded in her chest and that rage turned into lust.

"So do I," she said, meeting his gaze again. George ran his tongue slowly along his teeth as he approached her again. There was barely an inch of space between them and Cosette could tell he was breathing just as heavily as she was.

"Yeah?" He questioned, "And what's that?"

There was no hesitation on Cosette's part this time.

"I want you."

George raised his fingers to rest below her chin, keeping her head tilted up as he stared down at her with a recognizable glint in his eyes.

"You don't know how long I've been waiting for you to say that."

George's lips hungrily met Cosette's and at first, their kiss started off slow, like he was trying to taste the words 'I want you' on her tongue. But when Cosette clung onto the front of his shirt, pulling him closer against her body, George parted his lip and his tongue slipped against hers, quickly adding fuel to the kiss.

Cosette's other hand rested over his shoulder, recognizing the taste of gin as she kissed him but it blended so well the firewhisky she had earlier. The alcohol was intoxicating enough but when George moaned against her lips, Cosette felt her stomach turn in knots.

Beside them, George was frantically reaching for a door handle that he knew he saw when he and Cosette rounded the corner. It took a second for him to swing it open but when he did, he pulled Cosette inside and pushed her back up against the door.