Ch. 05: Consulting Kitt

"Seeking the Niceties of Marriage", Ch. 05: Consulting Kitt, May 16, 2021 by Gratiana Lovelace (Post#1381) 

(An original Regency Romance story copyrighted by Gratiana Lovelace, 2021; All rights reserved)  [(1) story cover above left]

[Illustrations: I cast my stories as I write them. So from time to time, I will illustrate my story with actors and such, including: Richard Armitage as Lord Edward Carlisle, Daniela Denby-Ashe as Lady Emily Creighton, Blake Ritson as Lord Kittredge Wells, Polly Walker as Lady Patience Creighton, Bill Nighy as Lord Nigel Creighton the Earl of Stoke, and others as noted.]

[Author's Note: This original Regency romance is a work of fiction, and as such, any character names, scenes or other descriptions were made at the creative discretion of this author. And this is a gentle romance (G to PG-13), but with some frank discussions about love and marriage put to humorous effect. This is my disclaimer.]

Ch. 05: Consulting Kitt

After a surprisingly companionable afternoon nursing Lady Emily Creighton's sore forehead and eyebrows--and chatting with her about life and love—Lord Edward Carlisle pays a call upon his best friend and Lady Emily's eyebrow plucking cousin Lord Kittredge Wells that very same afternoon.

Being a bachelor, Lord Kittredge has long espoused the creature comforts in his home's décor that befit a man, such as Lord Kitt, of wealth, rank, and elegance. His home contains the usual parlor rooms for drinking and smoking, as well as a billiards room for leisurely sport, and his study of dark burgundy hued walls and dark walnut Duncan Phyfe seating arrangements and his large desk.

And what Lord Edward likes most about his longtime friend Lord Kitt's study sanctuary is that though it contains floor to ceiling bookshelves chock full with leisure reading literature books—as well as treatises upon agricultural management for the gentleman's country estates—the general decoration of the room is restrained and comfortable.

Looking up to see his tall friend Lord Edward Carlisle being ushered into his study around four o'clock in the afternoon, Lord Kittredge greets him with a strong handshake and waves him to sit opposite from him at the room's fireplace in a companion plush leather wing chair of man sized proportions befitting the tall, broad shouldered, and long legged Lord Edward.

Lord Kittredge: "So Edward, how was your carriage ride with Emmy today? Any developments?" He leans forward with eager interest. Lord Kittredge is quite proud of the transformation that he has wrought in his cousin Lady Emily, and he hopes her now pretty attractiveness will entice his good friend Lord Edward to follow through with his proposal of marriage to her.

Lord Edward: However, with Lord Edward's eyes looking like thunder [(2) above middle], he chastises his best friend. "I should punch you in the nose for making Emmy suffer so from your eye brow plucking this morn. She was in so much pain, puffiness, and redness that all she could do was lie on a chaise longue and have cold compresses handed to her to place upon her forehead every few minutes. Therefore, we have to delay our carriage ride until she feels better."

Lord Kittredge: "Ohhh! I am truly sorry that your outing was spoiled. But what do you think of her face now that she has two eye brows?" He asks impishly.

Lord Edward: "Your concern for Emmy underwhelms me, Kitt." Lord Kittredge stares in befuddlement at Lord Edward. Then Lord Edward admits begrudgingly. "And yes, the plucking did improve her appearance."

Lord Kittredge: "Merely, improve it?" He asks leadingly.

Lord Edward: "Alright, Emmy looks quite pretty now that her brows frame her face more delicately."