8.

The flight to Washington would only take an hour depending on how fast the jet was going. That morning, Jasper decided he would put in an effort to be on time, but when he arrived at the runway, he'd began to wish he would've stayed in bed a little longer.

"Jasper," his mother called to him with relief as he stepped onto the plane. "Get settled, we're taking off in 10."

With his duffle on one shoulder, he scanned the plane for a comfortable seat away from his mom and her political talk; when his eyes found Ace talking to another one of his mom's security, he grimaced.

"Why is he here?" Jasper said, loud enough for Ace to hear. If he did, he surely didn't react in any way, other than the teasing grin Jasper was beginning to despise.

"He's traveling with us," Karla explained, irritated. "I explained this all to you numerous times."

"What the hell do you think is going to happen to us on an hour and a half flight?"

"Jasper, I'm not doing this with you," She scolded. "Sit."

Despite his protests, and against his better judgement to abandon this trip all together, Jasper eventually found a window seat, furthest away from his Mom. If he could go the whole plane ride without them fighting, and catch up on his sleep, he'd never complain again.

~

They touched down in D.C an hour later. Two cars were waiting for them at the runway, where they would be taken to their respective hotels. Karla had a meeting with some representatives, which meant Jasper would have time to kill before him and his mom attended the welcome dinner hosted by the House of Representatives.

"I'm riding alone," Jasper said to his mom after they descended the steps of the plane. He noticed how Amira, and Reese were already settled in the back of one black SUV, leaving one seat left for Karla.

"Ace is riding with you to the hotel," Karla explained impatiently. "You're not traveling anywhere by yourself, and I have a meeting."

His eyes flickered to the tall guard who was sporting his own luggage, as he reached the last step. With a grimace, he entered the second SUV without another word to his mom. He'd get the details from her later.

The sound of the car door shutting alerted Jasper to the second person who entered the car. Ace was clad in all black, and his hair was messily styled. Jasper thought, if he didn't have the deepest, utmost unbridled amount of hate for the guard, he might've found him attractive in an alternate universe.

He might've.

The blond didn't have time to daydream further when he felt the car drive away from the runway and off towards the D.C highways.

"The rallies have been bad here," Ace explained after a moment of silence. "When we get to the hotel, we're going to enter through the back just incase your mom's location was leaked."

Although Jasper heard him, he didn't do anything to signal that he did. The face of disinvestment he wore daily was beginning to blur the lines between what Ace knew he heard and didn't.

"Did you get that?" The guard asks again louder this time, earning an irritated glance from Jasper.

"Sure, whatever." he responded plainly.

Jasper didn't fully understand the extent of these rallies until he was there personally. Apparently there had been a nationwide rally organized by far right supporters.

The streets were calling with angry white men, shouting their hate and distaste for the left. They were holding up traffic on some streets, and he even saw signs of his mom with her face crossed out.