Chapter 19

ANYA WAS WALKING THROUGH THE grounds when she heard a Burned One snarling

ANYA WAS WALKING THROUGH THE grounds when she heard a Burned One snarling. That couldn't be. They were in the school.

She rushed through the corridors, running straight towards the main hall. Students started to pool in, searching for sanctuary.

"Every entrance must be secured. I've sealed the gates but its temporary," Farah explained, talking to an older student.

"Get the fire fairies to weld them shut and materials to place in front of them,' Anya suggested before she walked over to where Saul was.

He was with the specialists, the two of them still in their battle armour. "I've brought as much armour as I could, if you wear it, make sure you can move to access your magic, all right?" He said to the students.

Anya froze where she was standing when she saw Sam being taken over with massive injuries and was about to rush over when Farah started a speech.

She remembered Sam when he was a child so this was strange, seeing this little boy who would make flowers grow like beanstalk now bleeding out on a table from wounds.

"Butned Ones have infiltrated the barrier and the school," Farah explained, all the attention on her.

The students looked horrified, most of them clinging onto their friends as they realised that this was real and that Burned Ones had really entered.

Saul could see Anya staring at Sam, desperate to go check on the kid but she had to stay strong for the students.

"For some reason, the magical energy wells which power everything at the school have failed," she explained, "I managed to speak with Queen Luna before they did,"

Anya looked at Stella, seeing the girl tense up at the mention of her mother.

"She understands the gravity of whats happening here and the Solarian troops are on their way" Farah continued.

A sigh of relief ran through the school, most of the students looking a little bit more relived than they had seconds ago. At least this showed that Luna had some soul.

"We're barricading all entrances to the courtyard, we're safe for now," Anya said, stepping up next to Farah and looking at the students.

She knew that the students needed some hope during this time, something to keep them going so they weren't scared of the inevitability of death.

Farah flashed a weak smile at her, "But we must prepare for the reality that the Burned Ones may infiltrate the space before they arrive," she explained.

Some students muttered to each other as they realised the gravitas of the situation and how much danger they were in.

"This is what we've been training for. Be cautious but be brave. Let magic guide you and let's show them what it means to be Alfeans," Farah said, the children scattering.

Anya rushed over to Sam, standing next to Ben and looking at Terra and Musa who were on the opposite side. They both looked horrified and Anya knew how Musa felt after going through the same thing with Saul.

"What happened?" Anya questioned, taking Sams free hand in hers as he let out a blood curdling scream.

"He got attacked in the hall, we just managed to get to him," Terra explained, tears welling up in her eyes as she looked at her brother.

They were close siblings and Anya loved both of them like her own children and she didn't want them to end up being split apart.

She tried to calm the boy down, gently running her hand over his hair, brushing it out of his face.

Sam panted, yelling as Ben pulled bits of Burned One flesh out of his body. "He's in pain, help him," Musa begged, her heart breaking.

Anya knew how it felt for someone that you loved to be in pain because of a Burned One, and it wasn't something you can just ignore.

"I'm doing all I can," Ben said just as desperately. His hands were shaking as he looked at his son bleeding out on the table.

"You're a mind fairy Musa, feeling emotions us only a small part of your magic with your connection, you can take some of his pain," Anya suggested and Musa looked stressed out.

Musa grabbed onto Sams hand, flinching as he screamed, "I can't," she exclaimed in pain.

"It's okay, it's okay, I know it's a lot," Anya said, placing her hand on Musas shoulder.

Musa could feel every single ounce of pain that coursed through his body, something that nobody should go through in their lives.

"You didn't even try," Terra said, worried about her brother. It sounded harsh, but all she wanted was for her brother to get better.

"I said I can't, okay," she said before walking off, her hands shaking.

"I'll be back, you stay strong" she whispered, brushing hair out of Sams face before leaving the room.

She followed Musa, "Hey," she said and Musa turned around, tears streaming down her cheeks.

Anya held her arms out and Musa fell into them, leaning her head on Anyas shoulder as she cried, pouring her heart out.

"I-I can't save him," Musa managed to stutter out and Anya pulled away slightly so she could look at Musa.

Musa was only young, a teenager who hadn't signed up for all of this worry and fear.

"You don't have to, you just have to help him until we can kill the Burned Ones," she explained and Musa nodded, wiping her tears away.

"Can you do that for me? For Sam?" Anya asked and Musa looked at the floor, her breathing shaky.

She wanted to make sure that Musa felt supported and she knew that if Sam didn't get the help he needed soon, he could bleed out on tht table.

"I can try," Musa said and Anya smiled, brushing a piece of hair behind the girls ear.

"Thats all I'm asking for," she said and Musa smiled at her.

"Thank you," she said. She never felt super close with her mother, Anya being the closest thing that she really had.

"Thank me after Sams okay," she said as they walked back, Musa feeling more confident.

1013 words