Chapter-31

Nicholas

Three hours passed.
She must be asleep by now. I decided to go back to our chambers.

I felt like a coward after walking out on her when I knew she needed me the most.
I am indeed a coward, just like my mother said once.
Thinking about that vile woman boiled my blood again.

But how could I face my princess after I saw the sadness and fear in her eyes?
The sadness which I had caused by almost killing her father.

I slowly opened the door and walked inside. The room was dimly lit and as I had expected she was asleep.
How was it possible that she looked more beautiful every passing day?
She was perfect unlike me and I could have lost her today.

I could have failed her just like I had failed my brother all those years ago.
I failed to protect him!
Thinking about my little brother brought back those bittersweet memories which I had tried my best to forget.

No matter how hard I try to push my past away it all comes back to me in moments like these.

"Nicholas! You are back" I heard her sweet voice.
I didn't turn towards her but I could hear her getting off the bed and walking towards me.
"Nicholas, talk to me"

She tugged on my arm, pulling me towards our bed. She made me sit and kneeled in front of me.

When our eyes met, she gasped. "Your eyes are....bloodshot"

She moved closer to me and sniffed. "Have you been drinking?"

She cared for me!
I just stared at her, admiring her breathtaking beauty.

"What's wrong? Please talk to me" she begged as she took a seat next to me.

"Princess, it's nothing.... You must go to sleep"

"No Nicholas! You cannot shut me out again.... not today. I want to know what is bothering you" she stated stubbornly.
"Is it.... your past?" she questioned hesitantly.

I sighed and gazed at her gorgeous face.
She has a right to know.
She might hate me or look at me differently after I tell her but I cannot hide the truth from her anymore.

I rested my head on her lap and stretched my legs out. She ran her fingers through my hair, providing me comfort with her soothing actions.
It really amazed how her simple gestures managed to calm me down within seconds.

In her embrace and soothing touch, I am helpless and weak.
And yet I do not mind it.
I'd rather be weak than never be in her arms again.

"Yes it is about my past, princess and I am ready to tell you all about it"

******

25 years ago

Two-year-old Nicholas was playing with his toy horses and soldiers.
He handed the toy soldiers, their tiny swords and commanded them to use their swords only to kill the bandits and evil Kings.
Just then, somebody barged in.

It was a maid. "Young Prince, your mother just had a baby boy. The Queen and the King are expecting you"
She curtsied and left.
His mother had told him he would soon have a brother or a sister and little Nicholas was happy.
He would now have someone to play with him.
He did not have any friends as his father would not allow him to have any.

His father, King Silas Balinos ruled the lands of Arcane with cruelty and terror. People feared him and never dared to question him.
The neighbouring Kingdoms readily became his allies and one such Kingdom was Elysian.