Oh Brother

Simon rode his bike home quickly, internally cursing himself for almost falling over in front of Asher. Asher scared Simon terribly, though Simon always had a tendency to falling and tripping himself up. It was difficult to talk to people, even those whom he knew, because of his generalized anxiety; Simon took medication for it, but his issues never seemed to fully go away. Having a new friend was wonderful, though Simon was confused as to why Shea had stopped talking to him all of the sudden. He liked Shea just fine, though he often worried he would come on too strong and scare people away.

Simon noticed his brother's car sitting in the driveway, and was instantly nervous. Simon's brother, Liam, and him were almost polar opposites. On the outside they looked like siblings, just different; Liam was broad shouldered, tall, and striking, while Simon had a more delicate face. Simon took after their mother, whereas Liam took after their father, at least that's what their grandparents said. Simon tried not to remember his parents too much. Furthermore, Liam had watched Simon be picked on all throughout middle school school and was terribly protective over his younger brother.

"Hey." Liam said as Simon entered the kitchen.

"Hi. Don't you have practice?"

"Hurt my shoulder." Liam said, his voice suggested he was frustrated, and Simon knew not to push his brother anymore. "Got sent home." Liam was a legend at Simon's high school, and was living from home, and playing football at one of the local colleges.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." Liam said in a final tone, so Simon scurried up the stairs. Liam had good days and bad days, and today was clearly a bad day for his brother. Simon flopped lazily on his bed and sent a quick text to Shea, expecting no response.

....

Simon poured himself and his brother a bowl of cereal. When Liam came downstairs he hungrily ate his breakfast, wordlessly before rushing back upstairs to gather his stuff.

"Grab your bag." He called.

"Why?"

"I don't have a morning practice, so I can drive you." Liam replied, handing Simon his bag.

"You don't have to do that."

"It's on the way." Liam shrugged. The pair packed into Liam's car and drove in a comfortable silence to school. Liam always struggled to talk with Simon, and it strained their relationship. When they reached the school, Simon shifted out of the car, mumbling a quick goodbye.

"Hey Simon!" Asher called out, pivoting away from his friends to line up his step with Simon. "Woah. Is that Liam Matthews?" Asher asked looking at the car. Liam sat behind the wheel purposefully glaring at Asher. Simon motioned slightly, and Liam finally rolled his eyes and pulled away from the school. "He's like a living legend."

"He's my brother." Simon mumbled.

"No way." Asher mused.