THIRTY SEVEN

❤︎ this chapter contains a warning x
___________________________________

"And I will add onto your 'ANT' to make 'IMPORTANT'." My dad happily moved the small tiles across the board to add onto the word. Yes, I know what you're thinking, but who doesn't like a good game of Scrabble?

"You're such a one-upper." I shook my head and laughed but my dad grinned wickedly. I never classed my dad as a competitive person, he was also very chill and generous, but when it came to family boardgames, the claws came out.

"Then I'll add onto your 'FAN' to make 'FANTASTIC'." I smirked as I placed the letters down.

"Sienna, you're missing an 'A'." Roman called out. What? No way.

"What?!" I stared down at the board and saw what he meant. My 'FANTASTIC' spelt 'FANTSTIC'. Motherfucker. "Nooo! That's not fair, I take it back!" I demanded.

"Sorry, no re-turns. You made your shot, sweetheart." My dad smiled triumphantly. "Roman's on my side now." He grinned.

"No! Roman's on my side! Quick, help me find a new word!" I begged, nudging Roman's side.

"Can I go?! I've been waiting forever." My mom complained.

My dad chuckled and gestured for her to. "Go ahead, honey." She smiled happily and placed two letters down.

"Okay, so I turn your 'LIE' into 'LIELY'." We all looked around the table confused, dithering on whether we should say something or not.

"Erm, mom." I eventually broke the silence. "'Liely' isn't a word." I hesitantly spoke. She looked back at me and gawked in frustration.

"No! I swear it is." She protested.

"Honey, I'm afraid it isn't." my dad carefully consolidated.

She threw her hands into the air and groaned. "Urgh, this isn't fair! I'm not smart, you know that!" we all broke into laughter. "At least it would have been an eight-letter word."

"Six-letter." My dad correctly.

"Shit, you know I'm not good at math either, carry on." She waved it away.

It was currently Saturday, and my mom had a nightshift at the care home instead an afternoon shift which meant she was able to stay home for most of the day. My dad didn't have any clients today too but had a meeting with future ones tonight to discuss a whole garden upscale they wanted him for. It would be his biggest project yet and he was already researching tons of new and colourful flowers he had been dying to plant.

Roman had more family visiting this weekend for Skye's sake and so he asked if we could study at mine. I was fine with it now that he knew everything but studying soon came to an end when my mom started to interrogate him and then my dad walked in suggesting we played a boardgame instead. There was no protesting. Now, we have been playing for over an hour.

"Okay, Roman. Give us your best shot." My dad challenged.

I could already see the smirk Roman was trying to hold back as he placed the letters down. "Okay, I turn your 'METER' into 'HAEMATODYNAMOMETER'." We stopped and stared at him, jaws hitting the floor. Well, shit.

"What the hell does that mean?" my mom suddenly spoke in complete confusion.

Roman chuckled softly and replied, "It's an instrument to measure arterial or venous blood pressure."