13 | Malfoy the Potions Prodigy

Admittedly, Scorpius was quite disappointed Slughorn was the one teaching Potions this school year. He was actually hoping Severus Snape would be the one handling the class and sometimes wished he had returned to his father's fifth year instead.

Slughorn wasn't entirely bad as a Potions Master. He was rather brilliant in his work, and he could understand why he rose to fame. Back in his time, Slughorn had already retired and was replaced by Theodore Nott, who was also quite a good professor and was fond of him.

"I heard Slughorn's recruiting students for his little club," Pansy whispered to their small group as they sauntered inside the dungeons. "Mother used to tell me how only the best seemed to be invited to join."

Scorpius had to bite his cheeks to stop himself from laughing at how she straightened primly and properly on her chair. It was obvious she wanted to be included in his club, really.

"Crush the hope of being included immediately, Parkinson," Blaise drawled, placing his backpack on their usual bench. "Slughorn won't even give you a single glance."

Pansy's cheeks reddened in irritation. Huffing in annoyance, she glanced at the Malfoy heir with her big, round eyes, hoping for him to counter Zabini's words. Behind her head, Scorpius glared when Blaise lifted an amused eyebrow at his current predicament.

"I'm sure it's lame," Scorpius finally said, channelling disinterest and haughtiness in his voice. "He's not even a good professor. I wish Snape still taught us Potions."

"Yes, I'm sure," she hastily replied. He had to stop himself from rolling his eyes when she pretended to look disinterested, too, when her eyes already spoke of her wish to be included. It was, after all, an exclusive group – people tended to feel important when they're part of such an elite group.

"I think he'll invite you, Scorpius," Goyle loudly offered, setting on the desk behind the trio. Crabbe flanked his other side, while Millicent Bulstrode, took the other open seat. "I mean, you're a Malfoy. I think that's enough reason for Slughorn to invite you to join."

"Riiight," he drawled. "Have you forgotten my father's in Azkaban right now? I'm quite sure Slughorn's not big on letting Malfoys join his precious club." Honestly, he had too much on his plate right now, and he didn't want to think about joining Slughorn's club.

"But you're brilliant," Pansy pointed out. "Brilliant people are irresistible things to Slughorn."

Their conversation soon died down when the Professor in question walked into the dungeons with a large, indulgent smile on his face. He rested his hands on his bloated stomach, beamed a little too brightly at Harry Potter, then walked towards the very front of the classroom. With a wave of his wand, a list of instructions appeared on the blackboard.

"Today, we will be brewing Draught of Living Death," he started as a greeting. "Does anyone know what this potion is?"

Predictably, Hermione's hand shot up in the air. Scorpius was unable to hide a small smile from his face quick enough; Blaise was already giving him a pointed look.

"Yes, Miss Granger?"

"As what the name suggests, this potion is an extremely powerful sleeping draught, sending the drinker into a deathlike slumber," she mechanically replied, most likely reciting that specific passage from their book through her memory.

Slughorn's eyes twinkled and he beamed. Scorpius hazarded a guess Granger would get an invite to his club soon. "Very good, Miss Granger. Ten points to Gryffindor." Hermione preened at his words and this time, Scorpius didn't bother hiding his small smile, Zabini be damned.