Chapter 40

Knox’s POV

I just couldn’t wrap my head around it.    Staring at the papers in front of me nothing made sense and the more I tried to figure it out the more confused I became.   The logistics of it all were becoming one giant nightmare.

It all started on Tuesday when 5 mated pairs showed up at our borders requesting permission to speak with the Alpha, seeking placement with our pack.   Now that usually is not unusual but it is when they are not even wolves.   The 5 men were all were-panthers and their mates were witches, cousins to be exact.   Since they were inter-species mates, the Council looked down on that and hunted them after their panther pride banished them.  

On Wednesday, 17 gnomes showed up requesting the same thing.   Vlad was shocked that there were any still alive as gnomes were considered to be eliminated by the Council.   As a species they are very magical and like fairies are known as animal healers as well as expert gardeners.   It was shocking but in the past 2 days the packs garden had tripled in size.  

And if that was not weird enough on Thursday, a small clan of elves, 30 in total, appeared at our gates, again seeking placement with our pack.   I thought Vlad was going to have a coronary when he saw them, I’ll never forget the look on his face staring at their angelic faces.   Elves were also believed to be eliminated by the Council some time ago, seems like we were wrong once again.   Even though they are known for the expert fighting ability with bows, swords and other weapons, they still were no match for the Council.  

Vlad was speechless as myself.   We couldn’t figure out one where all these creatures were coming from and two how they found their way to us and three why they were here.

So here I am in my office with Alex and Vlad trying to figure out where to place 57 more pack members.   The new apartment structure we were building was still 2 months from completion.   When completed there would be enough units for over 200 families, but for now the gnomes and elves were sleeping in the woods since there were comfortable there and the were-panthers/witches were sharing some rooms at the main pack house.

Things were starting to get a little chaotic around here.   The wolves were a bit uneasy having so many different species roaming around on their land.   But not my mate.   Oh no, she was loving every minute of it.   No matter who showed up asking for acceptance, Sophia gathered them in and welcomed them home.  

“It doesn’t make any sense Vlad.   Gnomes…Elves…were-panthers…why are they all coming here?”

A voice from the door startled us out of our current housing project. 

“My Kings…I think I can answer that question for you.   See I was with the Gnomes and Elves helping them build their homes in the trees and asked them…”

“Wait what do you mean they are building their homes in the trees?”

“Oh I am sorry Alpha Knox, I thought you were aware that the Gnomes and Elves prefer to live above ground, due to their small stature they feel safer high up.   They are almost finished building their platforms for the homes but the suspension bridges are complete.”

“Oh this I have to see, Vlad, Alex lets go check out our new members housing.”

Our group headed out to the forest heading back by the west side of the property and sure enough if you looked up high you could make out the bridges that connected smaller platforms that were being used for homes.   It was beautifully constructed and if you didn’t know to look up and search for it you would never know it was there.    Each structure was perfectly camouflaged with the trees surrounding it. 

You could see the Gnomes and Elves efficiently at work completing sections and moving on to the next.   Man those little guys could move fast, I was proud to have them as part of our pack.   As we admired the structures a small figure appeared in front of me.   It was one of the small Gnomes.

“Alpha, my name is Harry.   We are almost complete with our homes as you can see.   The Elves will be housing to the east and we to the west.   All platforms are connected by bridges for easier access.   I would invite you up but I fear that you might be a bit large for the size of our homes so I deeply apologize.”

Kneeling down so that little guy didn’t have to keep looking up I smile reassuringly at him.

“Harry please do not apologize, it is I who feel bad for not having enough room for you and your families.   But it seems just like the garden, you and your men work miracles.   Are you sure you are comfortable with living up there?   And how did you get electricity up there?”

“Yes Alpha.   Our home has always been in the trees, same with the Elves.   It helps keep the predators at bay also we are better positioned for an attack.   We can see to the two different borders and Gnomes are known to have better eyesight than a hawk.   Also the Elves have a better angle to shoot bows from the two larger platforms there and there.  Tactically speaking we are in the best part of the property to offer protection.”

Man these little guys were severely underestimated.   Vlad was laughing behind me as he took in the tiny village. 

“Harry, can I ask you a question?”

“Of course Alpha.”

“Why are you all here?   And how did you find you way?  I mean you have been hidden for centuries.”

“Ah, yes well we are here because we were called and we followed the path that directed us to you.”

With that the little man bowed and shimmied up the tree.  

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?   Raine does any of that make sense to you?”

“Yes Alpha it does.   Gnomes are known to answer with riddles sometimes so you might want to get used to answers like that, but anyway my conclusion is that the Queen has awoken and therefore her subjects are attracted to her.   It is like she is sending a beacon signal out to those who need her protection, they are just responding to that.”

Of course…

Alpha…sir you are need at the gate again…

Now who is here…On my way.

“Well come on men it appears we have more new members waiting at the gates.   Luckily I have plenty of unused land otherwise we would be in serious trouble.”

Chuckling behind me, we turned and headed up front.