Pt 4 Chapter 6 - White stones and promises

Y/n's POV

It was our 2 year anniversary and Nat had planned a date night for us. I didn't really know what to expect, she wasn't massively the romantic type when it came to stuff like this but I assumed her plans were big as she had been a bit distant over the past twenty four hours. She picked me out an outfit and told me to get dressed, ready to go at 5pm. I did as she told me to, my stomach dancing with excitement as I did my hair. I met her in the car park, ready to get in the car. "Where are we going?" I asked with a frown.

"Not in the car. I'll say that much." She smiled, nodding at the warehouse where the quinjet was being stored.

"Oh." I chuckled. I looked over her outfit, she wore black suit trousers, a loose fitting shirt and her leather jacket. She had picked out mine as well. Her's had my initials embroidered on the cuff of the left sleeve and my jacket had hers on the cuff of the right. Just our small little thing to keep us connected if we were ever apart. She led me into the jet and took her place behind the controls. We flew out into the open sky, I was still unaware of where we were going. Music rang through the speakers as we flew over the busy city. We chatted and laughed for an hour and a half until we reached our destination.

We approached a large yet empty beach on the coast of England. Of course she had brought me to England. The beach sloped up and there was a flat grassy area where we could land the jet.

She helped me out of the jet, holding my hand softly as we walked down the steps. "Tah dah!" She smiled, pointing her hand out at the private beach. It was gorgeous, the sand was soft and the water was crystal blue. She jogged back into the quinjet and returned with a cool box full of food. Hand in hand we walked down to the edge of the beach. She laid out the blanket, the same one we had shared our picnics on during our last trip to England. The air was still and quite warm. "Nat this is gorgeous." I beamed. I took hold of her face and pulled her into a kiss. She pulled away with a smile.

"It's not too simple is it? I know some people like big gestures but I know you don't like lots of-"

"Darling. It's perfect." I interrupted, taking my seat on the blanket. She sat beside me as I looked over the brilliant selection of food. She had my favourite cakes and biscuits, bottles of wine and sweets. Croissants and various pastry things were in one box, a selection of fruit in another. She popped open the wine bottles and began to pour me a glass. "To us." I smiled, raising my glass.

"To our future." She grinned, her voice gentle. We took a sip and looked out across the water. The sun was lowering in the sky and hints of yellow began to seep through the mass of blue.

"I can't believe it's actually been two years." I sighed, snuggling into her as her arm came around my shoulders. She looked me in the eye, she looked smitten.

"Crazy how much has happened in two years." She shook her head.

"They would have loved this." I looked back out across the sea.

"Loved what?" Nat chuckled.

"They would have loved coming on a big family holiday to England. Just imagine Wanda and Vis, imagine Wanda in a summery dress and Vis in a floral shirt. Or Thor and Steve playing volleyball. Or Sam getting annoyed when James stomps on his sand castle that he was trying to build to impress me. And Tony and Pepper would sit watching like proud parents as we ran through the water."

"You think I'd get in the water with you all? Come on Darling I have a reputation to uphold." She rolled her eyes playfully.

"You'd get in if I promised you a reward." I raised an eyebrow at her.

"Like what?" She narrowed her eyes on me.

"Whatever you ask for." I smirked.

"Oh, I see how it is." She chuckled. "Is that offer still up for grabs?" She took a sip of her wine.