53. That Makes Two of Us

Setting: TFATWS

Setting: TFATWS

You heard a gunshot ring out through the warehouse; the sound rung in your ears, indicating that whoever was pulling the trigger was closer to your hiding spot than you had thought. You wiped a bead of sweat from your forehead and placed your pointer finger on the button of your earpiece.

"Walker," you whispered, "Are you down?"

Aside from the single gunshot, you couldn't hear any other sounds. You peered around the corner of the metal beam you'd been behind for the past eleven minutes, growing impatient after receiving no further directions from your squadron. You knew the mission was a risk, and in fact, you disliked the fact that Walker was involved at all.

Your work for the States had changed dramatically over the last six years. Before the blip you were only in the beginning stages of training for physical confrontations; after the blip, you were moved to headquarters working the courts among other less hands-on work. Turns out half of the universe ceasing to exist involved quite a bit of paperwork.

It had been quite a while since you'd gotten your hands dirty, and though you didn't mind the work, you did not enjoy working alongside John Walker. Your squadron was to be under his guidance, which definitely was getting to his head. Even Lemar's ego had been rubbing you the wrong way lately, and initially, he had been the only one you could actually stand to hold conversation with.

"Walker?" You whispered once more before giving up and leaving the safety of your hide-out spot.

They better put be back behind a desk after this because if I'm put on one more mission with this jackass, I might just put him down myself, you thought.

It was dramatic, but you had spent the last few days with only Walker and Lemar, following them to locations that turned up nothing. The Flag-Smashers were still at large and you were beginning to think this lead was yet another dead end, too, aside from the solo gunshot that you'd heard.

Your stomach began twisting in knots the longer the silence dragged on. After rounding a few more corners, you slowed down your pace and drew your pistol, holding it out in front of you. As much as you disliked Walker's personality and way of handling his job, you didn't want his blood on your hands.

"Lemar?" You whispered aloud this time, hoping he was nearby. This was the last location you'd seen him earlier before splitting up.

You took one step forward and in under what felt like a second, a force struck you from the side sending you to your knees. You coughed violently, watching a few droplets of blood splattered on your palm.

"Damn it," you muttered, trying to regain your breath.

"Stay down." A male's voice warned you as you'd tried getting back to your feet.

You weren't dead, so that was a fairly good sign that this was not one of the people you were currently on the hunt for. Still, your heart beat rapidly.