Chapter 68

Esmeray went into the Bayou that weekend.

Klaus had recommended she be away from New Orleans for the day. Apparently, the body Rebekah was inhabiting belonged to an Eva Sinclair, who had committed atrocious crimes against the witch community. Klaus thought it best for Esmeray to be away from any further conflict with the witches, and the werewitch wasn't about to complain.

Additionally, Freya had been invited to brunch, and Klaus, knowing he wasn't about to be very friendly with his long-lost sister, didn't wish for Esmeray to be in the middle of another family squabble.

So she, Hayley, Jackson, Hope, and the other wolves went out to the Crescent encampment. Esmeray got to work right away helping to fix up some of the homes, since her previous mini-house idea hadn't been implemented due to her departure from the state after Hope's birth. She then transitioned into playing with the wolf kids while the two Alphas spent time with Hope and Mary. Afterwards, she'd supervised some games for the older wolves who were still testing out the new abilities that'd been granted to them at the wedding. She had a good time sparring with them, and proving that her strength had increased tenfold.

Her phone rang in the afternoon. "Hello, Rebekah," said Esmeray as she answered. "How are things with Freya?"

"That's the problem," she said nervously. "I don't even know. Something's wrong with me, Esme. I was on my way there, and I just... blacked out. I'm back in the Cemetery with Davina, and she's trying to help me with a spell. I think this Eva woman is trying to take control of her body again."

"I'm on my way," said Esmeray, gathering her things. "Thank goodness for wolf speed, I don't need a car to get there. See you in about five minutes."

She hung up, and five minutes later, was at the entrance of the Claire tomb, where Kol and a previous Claire witch had created a sort of spell laboratory in the 1900s. There were materials in there that Esmeray had only ever seen through Klaus's memories, and a massive stack of spellbooks beside the supply cabinet.

"There you are," said Rebekah in relief. She was sitting nervously on a chair while Davina perused through one of the grimoires.

"What have they told you so far about what Eva did?" asked Esmeray as she went to give Davina a hug.

"Something about harming some children," said Rebekah. "I dunno what the bloody hell that means. They don't appear to be dead, just missing."

"Yikes," said Esmeray, scrunching up her nose. "I need to do a spell to sort through Eva's mind, and if she's hiding these kids, it might hurt a bit when I extract the information."

She came to stand behind her, letting her hands hover over her head. "Quaerer sinnen adskilte," she whispered. "Søg animi mens vivit seorsum."

Rebekah let out a grunt, digging her own nails into her thighs. "LET GO OF ME!" she screeched, her eyes wild as she turned to face Esmeray. "You will not find them!"

"I already did," said Esmeray calmly as Davina moved away, thinking Rebekah had gone feral. "Hello, Eva."

The woman looked like she was about to pounce on her and try to claw her to shreds. "You're bluffing!" she said accusingly. "You know nothing! I am channeling their power, you can't get past the barriers I put up!"

"That's where you're wrong," said the werewitch, crossing her arms as if she was bored. "I know you have them in the warehouse district. And I know you've linked yourself to them. Both are a simple fix." She flicked her wrist, and Eva was slammed back into the chair, unable to move. Esmeray put her hand on the back of the woman's neck. "Falla tankerne captionem mente."