𝘧𝘪𝘳𝘴𝘵 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦 / 𝘭𝘢𝘵𝘦 𝘴𝘱𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨

"You look good," Clay said with a soft smile as George walked down the final steps of the stairs, Nick holding back a smirk next to him.

"Thanks, so do you," George responded, flushing from the compliment. He wasn't lying, Clay did look good- he was wearing a colorful sweater and a pair of black jeans, and his hair was actually brushed back for once. George liked it better messed up, but he appreciated the boy's effort.

"Clay, if you hurt him I will come for you," Nick said as a send off, still playing his dad role.

"Don't worry, I would never break his heart." Clay said with a wide grin, waving as he pulled George out of the door.

Clay opened George's door like a true gentleman. He even gave the brunette a hand as he stepped into the car, giggling at Clay's cheesiness.

"Okay Clay," George started as Clay pulled out of the driveway, "where are you taking me on this date?" He emphasized the last word, and Clay rolled his eyes playfully at his tone.

"It's a surprise, duh!" Clay responded, taking his eyes off the road for a second to smile at George.

"Oh come on, just tell me!"

"No! You'll see when we get there!"

George sighed dramatically before responding with a drawn out, "Fineeee."

The rest of the drive was filled with the soft sounds of Clay's music and comfortable silence. After twenty minutes, they pulled into the parking lot of a small oceanside restaurant.

"A good family friend owns this restaurant," Clay started as they walked up to the door, "and they agreed to let me rent it out for the night, so we can eat in peace. They have the best fried shrimp I've ever had." He opened the door as he finished the explanation, smiling hopefully at George.

"Oh my god Clay, that's too much! You shouldn't do all of this for me!" George said, thinking about how much money that must have cost him.

"But I want to. Don't worry, I can afford it Georgie. Do you like it though?" Clay looked anxious awaiting his response.

"Of course I do, this place is so cute! But really you shouldn't-"

He was cut off as Clay placed a finger to his lips to silence him. "Don't worry, let me spend my money on you. You deserve it all." George just smiled and nodded, giving in to Clay's request. He stared up at his soulmate lovingly, and reached up to put his hand on his cheek.

"Thank you," he muttered softly.

"Of course," Clay responded simply, placing a small kiss on his forehead.

After a few moments a nice lady came and took them to their table. It was outside in the back, right on the beach. Tiki torches and string lights lit up the area, filling the beach with a warm glow. Soon after they sat down Clay's hair was messed up by the wind, which made George smile.

The night was wonderful. George ordered fried shrimp per Clay's recommendation, and he was right. They were amazing. They chatted about anything that came to mind, the conversation never stopping and the smile never leaving George's face. He was captivated by Clay in every way- how his freckles stood out in the warm light, the way he had to push his hair behind his ears every few moments, how contagious his smile was. George was smitten.

After an hour or so, long after they had finished their food, they got the check and were ready to go. As they were leaving, Clay said, "hey, do you want to walk on the beach for a bit?"

"Yeah, that sounds nice."

So the two turned and started to make their way down the cool stretch of sand, lit by the moon above. As they walked their hands slowly got closer together, and George was willing Clay to take his hand in the back of his mind.

Just grab my hand idiot, it's not that hard.

Luckily, George's silent manifesting worked. He looked down as he felt Clay's worn fingers lace through his own, fitting together like puzzle pieces. His soulmate's hands were calloused and strong, and his fingernails were messed up because, as George had observed, when he was nervous he would pick at them. It was perfect.

Clay pulled George onto the beach to sit down after a while. They decided to kick off their shoes so they could feel the cool sand beneath their feet. It was cool, so George leaned into Clay, trying to get warm.

"So, what would you rate our first date?" Clay spoke quietly after a while, barely heard over the waves coming into the shore.

George turned to face the boy, then said, "Five stars. It was perfect Clay, thank you."

He smiled widely at his response. "Well that's good, god I was so nervous!"

"So was I! Nick literally had to drag me out of the house yesterday to help me calm down," George confessed, giggling at how stupid it sounded now.

"That's why I couldn't come? And why were you nervous, for me it was just I wanted it to be perfect." Clay was laughing at his confession too.

"I don't know. It's just surreal, and scary. I'm so happy, and couldn't have asked for anyone better. But at the same time it's you. My best friend. It's just changing really fast, and I don't know if I'm ready. And on top of that we're famous, and this will change everything." George felt better now that his worries were off his chest.

"Yeah, I don't think I want to tell the fans or anyone but Nick for like, a long time," Clay started, looking down at George as he spoke over the wind, "And I understand, trust me. I've had more time to process, so I can't even imagine what you're going through. We will take it slow, I promise. I'll wait for you, whether it's two weeks or two years, just know that I love you and we'll make this work."

George was overwhelmed with emotions. Clay was truly the greatest person. He turned to hug the taller boy, and was met with warm arms wrapping around him.

"Thank you," George muttered into Clay's ear.

"Of course. Anything for you." Clay responded in a near whisper.

Anything for you. 

The night breeze carries something sweet...

---------------

sorry for taking so long, writers block am I right? I have plans now, so hopefully I can get the next chapter out sooner >:)

vote and comment maybe? thanks! I love you guys so much, seriously the support is INSANE <3

word count- 1057