𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈.𝐈

REMEMBERING

"Do you think things would be different if she was here?" Bucky spoke up first as he walked down the long stretch of road with Sam.

"Darla?" Sam questioned furrowing his brows, wondering if the man was on about her or Natasha.

Bucky nodded in head and hummed in response. He missed her and Steve, he had grown closer to her whilst he was in Wakanda and he wished he could turn back the clock to go back to that time.

"I think she'd have everything under control." Sam chuckled. "I don't think she'd let us run around like idiots."

"Can I be real honest with you?" Bucky questioned as he turned to face his friend. Sam was in his Captain America suit, something that Bucky was genuinely surprised to see him in.

"Of course." Sam nodded.

Bucky pondered upon telling Sam for a moment, wondering if it was the right thing to do or if it would all have been a mistake. He didn't want it to be a mistake. He sucked in a breath before announcing,

"I loved her, she was like my little sister." He chuckled. "She reminded me a lot of my actual sister Rebecca. I only remember snippets of her but she's still there." He tapped his head playfully.

Sam listened carefully, Bucky rarely opened up to him, so it was nice to hear him be so genuine about his emotions. He didn't want to interrupt and make Bucky think like he didn't care.

"Sometimes, I feel like I still see her. Or hear her laugh." He chuckled. "Sounds insane right?"

"A little." Sam nodded in agreement. "But then so am I." He ran his tongue over his bottom lip before pulling Bucky to a stop. "Darla impacted our lives in so many ways. She helped so many people, she was good. And now she's gone. That hurts."

Bucky lowered his head omits guiltily. He wished he could have done more, done something to save her. His wished their goodbye was longer, that he got to thank her for everything that she did for him.

"And Im sure she would have come back to life and kicked our asses if we didn't do the right thing or get the shield back." Sam let go of a small chuckle, wondering what Darla would have done if she was actually with them. How different things would have been.

"Oh she would have beaten us to a pulp." Bucky laughed. "You're right, she was good. No matter what side she was on, she was always on the right side, somehow."

"If she was alive, what do you think she'd be doing right now?" Sam questioned curiously.

Bucky turned to face Sam and frowned, trying to think of something, any thing that the girl would be doing at this specific moment in time. He let go of a chuckle before saying,

"She and Steve probably would have retired, maybe even had a kid, so she'd probably be living some apple pie, white picket fence kinda life. Steve would probably have a job wearing a monkey suit and she would be a stay a home mom." Bucky paused. "She would have made the best mom. And she would visit us all every weekend with the kids, who'd all coincidentally be named after some of us."

"Oh if she didn't name a kid Sam imma be pissed." Sam laughed, tapping Bucky's bicep before continuing, "They definitely wouldn't have named a kid Bucky, I mean who does that to a kid?"

"Steve." Bucky laughed, remembering when Steve called him Bucky for the first time. He was so confused but then Steve said that nobody should be called James unless they over the age of 45.

Sam laughed, he wasn't surprised. He could actually imagine the couple naming a kid Bucky. But he had to remind himself that Darla and Steve didn't get the happy ending that they wanted. They didn't get to retire or have kids and start their family.

"I visit her grave every other weekend." Bucky spoke up. "You know Parker gives her new flowers every two days?"

"I can imagine, he was fond of her." Sam sympathetically smiled. He couldn't ever bring himself to visit her grave, he knew that it would hurt her too much.

"Which is crazy to think about considering how they met." Bucky muttered, causing Sam to hum in response.

The duo smiled fondly at the memories of Darla. They missed her dearly and wished that she could be back with them. But unfortunately, they couldn't change the past or the future.

Bucky tilted his head up to look at the sky, a smile forming on his face as he said,

"We miss you Darla."