Chapter 70

Technically, Dahlia didn't get her.

But she did confront her in what was a very random conversation that Esmeray hadn't really been ready for.

She'd gone to the St. James Infirmary to check on Jackson, Hayley, and Hope, and had found that the entire area surrounding the building was blooming with black dahlia flowers. She pulled her phone out to call Klaus, but there was no signal.

"There is no need for that," a woman's voice said behind her.

Esmeray turned to see an older looking brunette in very dark clothes, with tall, high-heeled boots. She had a cold expression about her, despite the fact she was smiling.

"Esmeray Poldark," said the woman, coming closer to her. "It is a pleasure to meet you."

The werewitch did not smile back at her, nor did she extend her hand for her to shake it. "Is this the part where you knock me out and take me to Norway, or wherever the hell you're from?" she asked sharply.

Dahlia did not laugh. "Not at all. I wish to speak with you about the choice you and your... family... are going to make."

"You want Hope," said Esmeray, crossing her arms. "That much is obvious. You only want to incite violence between the siblings because you know Klaus won't be able to choose, but you think the others will prefer to send me away than their niece."

"I certainly do prefer Hope," said Dahlia, sitting down on a nearby bench. "But I cannot deny the power you hold. Perhaps, when she grows, you will no longer be a match for her." She looked up at her, before gesturing for her to sit. "I wonder if you know much of your witch ancestry?"

Esmeray slowly lowered herself down beside her. "Not much. My mother never really spoke of it."

"Your mother, Esmeralda, is descended from a line of powerful witches that I knew, from my village, before Esther ever met her husband. You are the last living member of that line. Unfortunately, in the Old World, before your mother's parents took her to the New World, those ancestors of yours had a nasty little habit of getting involved in werewolf business, where it did not concern them. Many were killed. Your mother survived and became the wife of one. You are a full hybrid now, without a half-bind over your witch nature. You are brimming with power that died out with your ancestors, and you are stronger than I could have imagined, when I first heard of you. You are not a Mikaelson, and the Mikaelsons protect their own. I will settle for you when they inevitably choose to protect Hope. However, I cannot lie and say I wouldn't rather have her outright, before she can make proper memories that will make it harder for her to let go of her past. Freya did not settle in easily, because she could very well remember her mother, father, and brother. You, I know, are even older, and are apparently quite stubborn. Alas, power is power, and if it comes down to it, I will accept you for Hope."

"Gee, thanks, that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside," scoffed Esmeray.

"You are also selfless," Dahlia continued. "You do not allow anyone to oppress you. I admire that. And I know that you would sacrifice yourself for that little girl even if she is not your daughter."

"Is this your grand plan? Get me to give myself up for her?"

"It would be simpler, that way, wouldn't it? They would not have to choose— you would make the choice for them, and it would be easier for them to say their goodbyes."

"I thought you were supposed to be smart and all-powerful. It isn't very efficient to be asking your victims to skip along behind you."

"I am all-powerful," Dahlia told her. "For that reason, I can offer you something in return."