Chapter 33 - Unexpected Visitor

With the plans for my move set into motion, I knew there was still one thing I had to do: I had to tell Mom. Elian convinced me that even if I couldn't find an apartment right away, that I should still come with him and stay with him until I found a place. I resisted at first, knowing I might grow complacent living with him and never want to leave. I finally caved in around the time Queen Latifah belted out her big number in Chicago.

I returned to the trailer after work the next day, fully prepared for the dramatics, only to find it empty. There was a note on the fridge: Got called into work to fill in. Sorry if I missed you. We seem to be doing that a lot lately. I made pesto last night for Ray. There's plenty of leftovers if you get hungry. Love you.

I was actually hungry, and I loved her pesto. She made it from scratch. She couldn't stand the kind out of the jar. She said it never tasted right.

I fixed myself a plate and put it in the microwave, staring at the plate revolving. I briefly wondered if it was true that standing this close to a microwave could in fact give you cancer or if that was just an old wives' tale, but I forgot the thought when someone knocked on the front door.

I expected to find Derek or Shelly on the other side. Maybe even Elian, come to lend moral support.

It was Ray. "Hey, Steven."

"My mom's not here. She had to work."

He nodded. "I know. She called me. We were supposed to have dinner."

"Sorry." I didn't know what else to say.

The microwave beeped, pulling my attention.

"I actually came to speak to you."

"Me?" I backed up, waving him inside.

He walked in, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "I tried the pharmacy, but some kid told me you left already. It's weird that two Stevens would both end up working at the same place."

Damn Carl. I rolled my eyes and went to the kitchen to check my food. It was barely lukewarm, so I started it again. "What did you need?"

Ray licked his lips, rocking back and forth on the balls of his feet. He looked around the room anxiously. "I really like your mom."

"She's a great lady." I said.

He nodded. "She's amazing."

"She's the best mom I ever had."

He didn't laugh at my stupid joke, which I couldn't fault him for. "I actually love her."

"Okay." I said.

When the microwave cut off again, I took the plate out. It seemed hot enough. I grabbed a fork from the drawer and took the plate to the table.

Ray sat across from me, steepling his fingers on the table.

"Was there a point you wanted to make?" I twirled my fork in my pasta and shoved the bite, which was probably too large, into my mouth.

"Yeah." He took a deep breath. "I want to ask your mom to marry me."

I coughed, trying to chew my food, so I didn't choke on it. I panted after I got it swallowed. "Holy shit!"

Ray reached into his pocket and brought out a tiny round box. He opened it to show me the diamond engagement ring inside. It was a small stone with a simple setting, but it was pretty. Mom would love it.

"I wanted to get your opinion." he said. "I'm kinda nervous about asking her. It's been almost twenty years since I proposed to my ex-wife. Your mom is the first woman I've really fallen for since my divorce, five years ago."

I told him my opinion on the ring, and added, "I think she'll say yes."

"You do?"

I nodded. "She's kinda nuts for you. You're the only boyfriend she's ever introduced to me, y'know?"

That made him smile. "I just want you to know that if she says yes, there's a room for you, too. I don't live in the hills or anything, but it's a decent-sized house."

"Thanks." I said. "But I won't be needing it. I've decided to move to Chicago, with Elian."

"That's great!" He sounded genuinely excited for me. "He's a great guy."

"I haven't told her yet."

"Mums the words." Ray said. He snapped the ring box shut and returned it to his pocket.

"When are you planning on proposing?"

"Our six-month anniversary is coming up in a couple weeks. I thought I'd surprise her with a trip to Phoenix."

"She'll love that." I said. A memory occurred to me that I thought I should pass along. "Don't do it in a restaurant, though. She hates that kind of thing. Whenever someone does that in a movie, she always says it's so inconsiderate because then it feels like saying yes is an obligation to save face in public."

"Thanks for the tip."

It was my turn to ask him a question. "Do you think she's going to be upset with me for moving?"

"No. Definitely not." Ray said confidently. "All she talks about is you. She only wants you to be happy."

I nodded, pushing my pasta around with my fork. "We've never really been apart before. Except one time when I was like eleven. I wanted to go to summer camp, but three days in I was miserable. When I told her I wanted to come home, she drove five hours to pick me up."

Ray chuckled. "That sounds like something she'd do."

"I'm going to miss her so much."

"And I'm sure she'll miss you. But if this is something you want, I know she'd want it for you."

I looked up to meet his eyes. "I'm glad she has you."

"I appreciate that. And I intend to make her very happy."

I believed him. I could see in his eyes every time he looked at her how much he cared about her.