Chapter 9

We entered the grand ball room filled with multiple dignitaries of the architectural world hand in hand.We greeted Kate, George and Dad.Kate was gushing about our outfits upon seeing us together while George stayed silent. We took a round to meet and greet and received a lot of wishes. Finally we had found our table, Ethan was already bored and didn't even try to hide it.

Before I could get in my seat, Dad pulled me aside,

"Sky honey, how are you?" He asked with concern laced in his voice.

"I am good, Dad. Great party, by the way."

"Is he treating you well? Tell me right now if he tried to hurt you."He said while totally disregarding my compliment.

"Yes Dad, he is. I'm happy.You do not need to worry." I didn't want to give him another reason to be worried. All those forehead lines were getting deeper by the day. Plus Ethan and I were cordial to each other just like two business clients so there was nothing to be worried about.

"Good, you should enjoy the party." He finally said and I nodded before getting back to my table. The party was just a façade, it was just  for all the guests to grab opportunities and make their way to the top in the market with a pleasant front, of course.

Ethan had his hand rested in the back of my chair with a drink in another hand the entire time. Even when we got up to chat with some people, he casually looped his arm around my hand while sipping his drink from the other. We were in the midst of a discussion with another group when a girl with blonde hair and stark brown eyes in a dark green dress interrupted us,"Ethan? Is that you?"

Surprise flashed in his eyes for a moment and then he replied in his normal monotonous tone, "Bianca ,hi.What are you doing here?" He asked totally uninterested.

"Oh. well my brother, Zach, invited me!"She said pointing towards him. He was cozily sitting near Liam. But if she's Zach's sister, how does she know Ethan? My eyes narrowed involuntarily in suspicion but I quickly recovered my expression.

Bianca took two steps forward and put her hand on Ethan's chest,"Look at you," she trails her finger,  "all business. It's been a long while, isn't it?"

Even if Ethan was uncomfortable, he showed no sign of it. Instead he clutched me tighter and pulled me towards himself. He gave her a poisonous smile before casually flashing his wedding ring,"Bianca, meet my wife, Skylar."

He just called me his wife, no biggie.I've never been this close to him.His body was taut, and it felt so warm in his arms.I could almost hear his heartbeats and wanted to melt into him but I maintained my composure.

 Earth to Skylar.This isn't real, just a show. 

She looked at me like I didn't even belong here but the sour expression changed within a minute, "Oh hi, how silly of me to think he would be on the market even after 2 years. Anyways, it's good to meet you Skylar." She threw out my name like a venom.

"It's good to meet you too, Bianca." I replied politely. "How do you know Ethan?" The words were out of my mouth before I realised.

"Ethan and I were friends with benefits since you know he doesn't do the dating thing. But I had to move to Los Angeles for my job so, we broke it off. " She sighs dramatically.

Okay, this was awkward . Why did I ask? What do I do to break the tension? Should I say something--

In the midst of my thoughts, I heard a splash and saw there was champagne on Bianca's dress.

"Oh no, you stupid boy , what have you done?! You can't cover the cost of this dress in your entire life!" The poor waiter was so scared. I waved him off.