Chapter 55. Old Enemies and New Allies ☾

A/N: Hey, how are u all? I 'm good and its my birthdayyyy!!! What a stressful week it has been but I am finnaly free hope you all like the chapter...Thank you so much for 86K love you all :)

─⭒──⚝⚝──⭒─⭑

The Golden Trio made their way to the Great Hall. It was just as beautiful as ever, even though a Pepto-Bismol toad sat in the front of the hall. Harry sighed. He guessed the view would have to stay the same for now. As they sat down, Neville came flouncing over to them. He sat down next to them and smiled.

"Hiya Harry, Hiya Draco!" He greeted happily.

Harry and Draco smiled. "Hiya Neville."

Neville took a deep breath in.

"There's something I want to talk to you two about, when we get up to our dorm. Is that okay? It's sort of private."

Harry and Draco furrowed their brows and gave each other a look. What could Neville possibly want to talk about? Was something going on at home? Did someone finally figure out the poor boy was abused, just as much as they were? They both shrugged and figured they would find out soon enough.

The Sorting Feast began and the Sorting Hat sang its brand new song for all to hear. The focus on unity seemed redundant and prevalent, but everyone cheered anyway. They all ate a wonderful meal, and then awaited Dumbledore's Beginning of Year speech. They were both shocked and annoyed to once again see it interrupted by Madame Dolores Umbridge.

"Hem, Hem. Thank you, Headmaster for those kind words of welcome." Umbridge simpered in her sickly saccharine voice. "Well, it is lovely to be back at Hogwarts, I must say." Her smile resembled a shark's, Harry mused. "And to see such happy little faces looking back at me. I am very much looking forward to getting to know you all, and I'm sure we'll be very good friends."

Harry snorted and Draco scoffed.

"The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. The rare gifts with which you were born may come to nothing if not nurtured and honed by careful instruction. The ancient skills unique to the wizarding community must be passed down through the generations, lest we lose them forever. The treasure trove of magical knowledge amassed by our ancestors must be guarded, replenished, and polished by those who have been called to the noble profession of teaching. Every headmaster and headmistress of Hogwarts has brought something new to the weighty task of governing this historic school, and that is as it should be. For, without progress, there will be stagnation and decay. There again, progress for progresses' sake must be discouraged for our tried and tested traditions often require no tinkering. A balance, then, between old and new, between permanence and change, between traditions and innovation...." Harry began to zone out again. He looked over at Luna and smiled as she made faces at the pink toad, trying to get the woman to lose her focus. He turned to Draco and saw the blond mockingly mouthing every word the new professor said. Hermione rolled her eyes and tried not to giggle.

Finally, Umbridge finished. Dumbledore thanked her.

"That wasn't nearly as illuminating the second time around," Hermione complained as they got up to go to the Gryffindor Tower.

Behind her, Ron muttered, "The second time around? What could that possibly mean?"

They all made it back to Gryffindor Tower. Hermione went to bed right away, but Draco and Ron found themselves in a fierce chess battle and no one wanted to interrupt them. Draco won, and Ron muttered about stupid ferrets and their over-competitive nature. Harry just shook his head and followed Draco and Neville upstairs. Dragon followed behind them.