Prologue

Marinette Walker. That's my name. Or- was.

I used to live a normal life. Amazing mum, never met my dad, but that was okay. To me, mum was enough. I was insanely happy, until that fateful day.

Mum died in a car crash. The car blasted. The minute I heard the news, I ran. Adoption? I would never. I knew how kids who got adopted had to move far away from their cities. Although I was only five, I knew that I would never leave Gotham out of my own free will.

I used to live on the streets of Gotham with my friend Jason. I had met him while trying to pickpocket someone, and he stuck close, teaching me new tricks. He was all I knew at that point, and I couldn't ask for more.

He had these ocean-blue eyes and pitch-black hair with a white streak in the front. He was kind and laid-back. Oh- not to mention all the tricks he knew. He was, admittedly, 8 years older than me, but we got along perfectly fine.

Jason was 13 when I met him. No family, just him. He must have been living alone all these years. I suspected that he'd been abandoned, but that wasn't the case. His life was almost like mine, he had simply runaway earlier. We bonded on shared wounds.

"My parents are dead. They went chasing after Killer Croc." he said.

"I'm sorry...." I replied.

"Don't be, they got what they deserved."

One day, he just vanished. I woke up to an empty room, and it had been empty ever since. I couldn't find him cause I didn't know his last name. Jason. Wonder how many of them are in the world.

The same day, when I was searching for him, the police found me and threw me in Child Services. Soon, a kind couple in Paris adopted me. Tom Dupain and Sabine Cheng. And so began my new life, after I was shipped half-way across the world without my permission.

I changed my name and started living my new life. After all, Paris was kind to those who seek refuge. Time passed, but I didn't forget about Jason. Who could?

Many years passed quietly. When I was 12, I got a miraculous to fight against Hawkmoth, the villain who rose. That old man had no sense in fashion. I became Ladybug and fought crime with my partner Chat Noir. My kwami, Tikki didn't know about my past, and I hope she never finds out.

3 years passed, but we defeated the butterfly guy. Followed a purified akuma back to his layer. Honestly, I didn't know it would be so easy. The old man turned out to be my friend/crush Adrien's dad, Gabriel Agreste.

Using my newfound guardian magic, I bought Emilie, Adrien's mother, back from her comatose state, obviously with the help of the Guardian Temple. She was currently recovering secretly in the temple.

Following these events, Adrien asked me to erase his memory of being Chat Noir. He told me that he felt guilty for not noticing his father's actions and had to pay the price somehow. He renounced his miraculous, not being able to bear his memories. I gave him the tiger miraculous instead.

When I was 15, in the same year, came Lila Rossi. A master manipulator. She made my life hell. She spread rumors about me bullying her. I had supposedly been scared of her, pushed her down the stairs, stole her things, beat her up, and threatened her. Suddenly, all my lifelong friends were gone. All accept 6.

Adrien Agreste, my former crush.

Luka Couffaine, my classmate's brother.

Nino Lahiffe, my childhood friend.

Kagami Tsurugi, a rival-turned-friend.

Alya Cesaire, my one and only best friend.

Chloe Bourgeois, a girl who once used to hate me.

Those 6 stood with me in the toughest of times. I told them my secret and then decided to make them a part of it. After all, there was no rule stating that only the duo of Cat and Bug must be used. The Ladybug and Chat Noir duo became a 7 member crime-fighting group.

Chat Noir was declared dead. The city mourned, but not for long.

4 years passed in a blink of an eye and now I'm 19. Surprisingly, I was the only single one in my group. Adrien was dating Kagami. Alya was dating Nino. Chloe was dating Luka. I still had my miraculous and was Lady Luck now.

My life was okay, at least better than it used to be. Lila continued to torment me with her lies that become more ridiculous over the passing of time. I was content. I lived a normal life, simply catching small-time thieves when I had nothing else to do.

But all of this started going wrong the day I won a trip to Gotham.