66.

They crossed the border with ease because of Amara's disguise and reached Tracovia as Raphael had estimated. It was a fairly awkward ride for Felicia. The other two were definitely mad at each other for some reason she couldn't phantom. 

She was just glad that Alistair remained oblivious to it. 

But Raphael had to face the music once they crossed the borders as Felicia took the reigns and he shifted inside to protect himself from unwanted attention. 

Soon, they entered the Tracovian stronghold. The Frist Warrior was glad to be home. She would go back to her baby and everything would fall into place. 

The plan was to contact Lord Tyhane and inform him that the Crown Prince had returned. He would then send a message to the King about the same and arrange the means for him to be smuggled back to the Dithrai Castle. 

'Frisir,' Lord Tyhane greeted her coldly. It seemed strange to Felicia. Somehow, his expression resembled Phoebe's- cold and calculating. 'It is nice to see you.'

'Thank you, Lord Tyhane.' She smiled. 'I need to speak to you in private.' 

Presently, they were in a large chamber that was designated for formal meetings such as these. They were in the company of those who governed Tracovia as well. Felicia did not want them to be there.

Thankfully, he complied and dismissed all of them. 

Once they were all gone, she explained everything. 

'So Prince Damien and Princess Amara are back safe and sound?' He asked when she was done.

'Yes. Princess Amara is unscathed. However, the same can't be said for Prince Damien. He needs medical assistance.'  

He got to his feet. 'Then he shall receive medical assistance.' He approached the door, 'Come with me.' 

'What about Raphael and Alisitair?' Felicia asked. 'They will be respectfully accommodated too, will they not?' 

'You need not worry about that. Rest well, Felicia.'

She hesitated but eventually gave in. 

A couple of warriors were immediately sent toward the wagon. Cautious of prying eyes, they shifted the four of them to different rooms. Alistair made a fuss, crying out for his mother so he was allowed to stay with Raphael. 

Amara and Damien were accommodated in different rooms. However, Amara remained in Damien's room as he was being treated by the physicians. She watched them from afar, not wanting to interrupt them. 

When they were done, they left the chamber. 

The silence that followed was suffocating. 

'How is everyone at home?' Prince Damien asked. 

Amara spared him a glance and wrung her fingers. 'Last I knew, they were worried.' 

'Oh.'

'There is something you must know,' she began. 'The Queen asked me to protect your throne,' she stammered. For a few moments, she struggled to find words. She wondered if her revelation would destroy whatever that was left of their relationship. 'I am the Crown Princess.'

The Prince didn't reply and she cringed. Maybe it wasn't the right choice but she reasoned that it would be worse if someone else told him.

Finally, he replied in a low whisper. 'I wouldn't have it any other way.'

She had expected such a reply from him but she wanted more than his succinct replies. 'I-I ran away because I needed to find you,' she blurted. 'The Queen sent Felicia after me.'

He chuckled humourlessly. 'You and I are so alike.' He sat up and winced when he moved his bad leg accidentally. 'You remember the time Tracovia was invaded?' 

She nodded. It was around that time she was attacked by the demons. 

'I wanted to stay there for a couple of months to escape. I always hated the castle. It reminded me of what I had lost,' He sighed. 'But when I heard you were...' His voice faltered. 'I-I couldn't stand it. When I saw you like that, I promised myself that I would love you and cherish you will all my heart.'

Tears pooled in her eyes as she clutched her heart. 'Why are you telling me this?' She cried. 

'Don't you realize, Amara?' He didn't look at her. 'It's the same as last time.'

'I don't understand.' 

'You might already know this but-' he swallowed. 'But that day, all those words I said... I know they were hurtful but my only intention was to protect you.' 

'I know that, Damien,' She cried harder. 'I didn't realize it until it was too late.' 

'I have been thinking, Amara,' he whispered. 

She moved closer to him and caught hold of his hand. 'Tell me.' 

'Do you think I can change?' 

'Change?'

He swallowed before explaining, 'I feel as though there's something wrong with me. I don't know what I want anymore.' 

She gingerly took both his hands in hers and kissed them. 'Tell me everything.'

His beautiful blue eyes regarded her and her chest tightened. She wanted to say something... anything that would take the pain away.

But what could she say? 

'When I was there, I wanted to go return. I was always thinking about ways that I could escape... Home, it was all I wanted that time.'

When she didn't say anything, he continued, 'B-but now that I'm here, so close to home...' He rasped, 'I-I'm ashamed. I don't know how I'll face them. I feel as though I've let everyone down.'

She brought his hands to her lips and kissed his knuckles. Tears rolled down her cheeks. 'Damien, I want to tell you something.'

He looked at her expecting the worst but when her eyes mooned with happiness, he felt different. She pressed her forehead against his hands. When she had gathered herself, she looked up at him. 'I am proud of you, Damien. I might not know what she did to you.' Her voice quivered as she spoke, 'But I am happy that you survived.

'So what if you have changed? Who's to say it's not for the better? The love I feel for you is more than you could ever imagine. I think nothing less of you.' She pulled him into her arms.

'You took care of me,' she whispered, 'Let me do the same for you.'

Those words had their own magic. Prince Damien's heart elevated from the dark abyss and soared high, where there was light. He felt her love wash over him and like a gentle breeze. it cleansed his mind.

He embraced her tightly, pressing her close to his heart.

'We'll face this together,' she said.

It was a promise he was willing to hold on to.