the girls

December 25th, 1976

-Adelaide-

The girls' dorm was a mess, makeup and other miscellaneous products cluttered every counter space, hairpins were scattered across the beds, shoes filled the floor and jewelry covered the chairs.

The Gryffindor females, except Dorcas, as she insisted Marlene couldn't see her until later, we're in a frenzy of stress and swearing as they attempted to get ready for the Yule Ball.

"SHIT! WHERE ARE THE GEMS?" Marlene wailed as dug through the multitude of makeup bags.

"FUCK YOUR GEMS! WHERE IS THE EYELINER!" Mary snapped back as she raced around the dorm.

"Pins, pins, pins, if I were red hairpins where would I be?" Lily mumbled as she sifted through the mess of hair accessories on Adelaide's bed.

"ADIE! YOU SLUT! I KNOW YOU HAD THE LINER LAST!" Mary shouted towards the blonde who was applying eyeshadow in the mirror.

"You are literally holding the liner Mar!" Adelaide yelled back.

"NOT THE ONE I WANT TO USE DUMBASS!"

"HA! GEMS! SUCK IT MARY I FOUND MY GEMS! FUCK YOUR EYELINER!" Marlene screamed from the bathroom.

"This eyeliner?" Lily asked and held up a black and purple object.

Mary snapped her head towards the redhead and gasped loudly, "YES! THANK YOU, YOU ABSOLUTE GODDESS! THE NIGHT IS SAVED!"

"You're all so dramatic," Lily said with a chuckle.

"Honestly, could give James and Sirius a run for their money," Adelaide added as she spotted the red hairpins through the mirror. She got up, grabbed them, and made her way to Lily.

"Oh! Thank you!" Lily exclaimed upon seeing what Adelaide brought her, "Would you help me with my hair?"

Adelaide smiled and patted the bed, "have a seat."

Mary rushed into the bathroom, joining Marlene who was laser-focused on gluing small gems around her eyes.

The blonde began sectioning off Lily's hair, "I still can't believe you said yes to James."

Lily let out an airy laugh, "And I can't believe you said yes to Fabian."

"What do you mean?"

"I just assumed you'd end up going with Sirius," Lily replied carefully.

"That was the original plan but obviously that didn't work out," Adelaide replied cooly, trying not to think about how she wouldn't be attending the ball on the eldest Black's arm, despite her desire to do so.

"I know... he really messed that one up didn't he?" Lily responded gently.

"Yeah well, I hope he has fun with Bones, she seems lovely... which is a damn shame seeing as I want to hate her."

Lily scrunched her nose in confusion, "He isn't going with Bones?"

Adelaide froze for a second, "what are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about how Sirius told Amelia that he could no longer be her date," the red-head replied as she turned her head to see her friend's face.

Adelaide was at a loss for words, "I... what?"

"He's going solo with Remus and Peter... no one told you?"