T W E N T Y-F I V E

~Duel~

It had been weeks since Athea had gotten a decent night's sleep, she averaged a three hour slumber mostly, sometimes less. She would lay awake in the late evening, contemplating through all the thoughts that were commonly running in her mind—the ones that left her worrying and questioning. Her head still ached when she woke up on the first night of staying at the Malfoy's, a pounding pain continued to throb against her brain and she concluded that the potions Draco had given her yesterday had worn off. It wasn't as bad as after she had suffered the cruciatus, but it still made it hard for her to leave her bed.

The room she had been given to stay in by the Malfoy's was almost the same size as her room in her own manor, only a little bigger. She could tell it was a guest room: no special paintings or pictures with a personal meaning, no random ornaments and no distinctive items—just the basic furniture required for a bedroom, save for a few plants.

A timid knock came from outside her room and a smoothing voice followed. "Athea, are you awake?"

She recognised it was Narcissa, so clearing her throat, she sat up against the tall headboard. "Yes, I'm awake."

The doorknob was turned and Narcissa entered, already dressed in her ladylike, smart robes with her hair styled neatly. She had a warm smile plastered on her face that helped Athea dismiss the cruel coldness in the manor. She noticed a small food tray in Narcissa's hands as she closed the door behind her.

"I hope you slept well?" She said as to walked over to Athea, stopping next to her. "I had the elves prepare you a nice breakfast, they would have brought it up themselves but I wanted to check on you." She smiled and lay the tray next to Athea on her bed. A classic English breakfast that looked as if it had been cooked to perfection: bacon, eggs, sausage, beans and buttered toast with a steaming cup of tea.

"This is lovely, thank you, Narcissa." Athea returned her smile and gathered a knife and fork into her hands. "And yes, I slept wonderfully." She lied but made a great effort to shield it.

"Good." Narcissa tucked a hair behind her ear. "How are you feeling, dear?" She sat down on a soft, cushioned chair next to Athea's bed. "I'm aware that you had a tough day yesterday." She looked at Athea with sad eyes—guilt circling her pupils.

Once Athea finished chewing a piece of bacon, she answered. "I'm quite alright now, only a little headache. It was worse at the start but..." she looked down at her plate. "Draco was very helpful."

"Oh yes." Narcissa let out a sigh. "He looked ill once he first heard you scream, barely a second passed before he was outside the drawing room trying to get through the wards, but I'm afraid the Dark Lord's magic was too powerful."

Athea's fork stopped just as she was about to bring it to her lips, her eyes met Narcissa's. "He was trying to enter the drawing room? To get to me?" She asked, cautiously.

The older woman in front if her displayed a sympathetic smile. "Yes, dear. He almost fainted from the amount of spells he used to try and break in."

Athea bit her lip and let her eyes roam downcast, she felt a tinge of guilt come across her—she could have showed a little more appreciation towards Draco for going to all those efforts to help her. She felt that she needed to have a closer conversation with him to talk over a couple of things that brought them both apart—and then thank him. Their conversation yesterday didn't feel right. It was almost awkward, there seemed to be a unnecessary tension in the air that made everything uncomfortable between them. She missed him, a lot more than she should.

"I guess it's better that he couldn't get in. The Dark Lord could have possibly punished him." Said Athea as she moved her food around with her fork.

"He cares about you, Athea." Narcissa spoke in a soft, calm voice. "More than you think. Even if he doesn't show it all the time, he does." Narcissa placed a careful hand on top of Athea's and slowly caressed her skin.