Chapter 30

"Let's go." I grabbed Kyle's hand and ran with him to our designated side of the road.

"What are you doing?" He hissed.

I had stopped just at the edge of the woods and stared at the front door of the house.

"They're gonna see us." He said, while grabbing my arm.

"Precisely." I said back. "When they see us they'll follow us rather than Emma and Billy."

"You're gonna get us killed."

"Then you go ahead." I held the gun up. "But I have a gun."

"Hazel, just come o-"

I looked over to the house's front door to see that Doll mask opened the door and all the masked people spilled out. They stood there staring out into the dark, holding their sharp and deadly weapons. For a moment I thought they couldn't see us and I was about to step out more, but then Doll mask let out a wicked laugh and pointed in Kyle and I's direction.

Doll mask then pointed to half of her friends. "You guys go the other way and look for the little boy and the other girl." She then turned away and raced towards us.

"Run."

I turned on my heels and ran as fast as I could away from Doll mask and our other attackers. At least they thought Billy and Emma went the other way, so now only five of them are going in our direction. Five of them and four bullets.

I've never been particularly fast, and the last time I ran through woods was the time I got caught by one of the masked people, but this time I had Kyle with me. He seemed to have given me strength to keep running.

A few minutes of this went by and my legs and lungs were begging for even the slightest bit of a break, but I could hear Doll mask and the other masked murderers maybe a dozen yards away. I could hear that Kyle was breathing just as hard as I was, and at this rate, we were probably going to have to stop soon.

"We're going to have to stop and fight." I said between heavy breaths.

He let out a noise that seemed close between a grown and a high pitched whine, that I interpreted as a 'I know'.

"I'll sho-" I was unable to finish telling him what I was about to do because I had tripped over a root.

"Hazel." Kyle stopped running and ran back to me.

I didn't break my ankle, but it was most definitely sprained.

"Can you run?" No, no I cannot.

I was still trying to catch my breath, so all I did was hold up the gun in the direction of Doll mask's evil laughter, and waited.

Emma POV

"I'm tired." Billy said, while holding his stomach. "My tummy also hurts."

We had gone from a sprint, to a jog and now we were speed walking. I could still just make out the road through the trees and the darkness.

"Me too." I stopped walking and turned around. I could still hear the murderers, but only faintly. "We can take a break if you want."

Billy didn't say anything, he just flopped to the ground and laid down on his back. He closed his non swollen eye and focused on slowing his breathing.

I sat down and waited for my breathing to become even once again, before talking. "So what happened before I came?"

He sat up and looked at me. "Um, dad brought a bunch of people. Or at least that's what I heard. I could hear a bunch of screaming and gunshots coming from downstairs, and then after awhile one of dad's friends came to get me. She told me to wear the mask and listen to everything dad told me to do, and if I didn't listen then he would hurt me again. So I went downstairs and did what he told me to do." A fresh tear then dripped from his cheek.

"What did he tell you to do?"

He wiped the tear away. "I killed two people, and then the third person beat me on the videogame. I got really mad cause I wanted to make dad proud and I knew that if I had lost then he would surely punish me." Billy took a very shaky breath before continuing. "I threw my mask down and then dad took me by my neck and dragged me up the stairs to my room. He used the weird bracelet and attached me to the bed again, then he hit me." He brought his legs up to his chest and wrapped his arms around them. "I just want my mom."

"What happened to her?"

"Dad got mad."

Billy didn't need to tell me. His dad killed his mom.

"I'm so sorr-"

Bang

The gunshot came from where Hazel and Kyle should be.

"We have to go help them." Billy said, while getting up. "Hazel saved me. I need to save her now."

"Billy, no. We have to get out of here."

Bang

Another shot rang out from the darkness.

"I'm going." Billy started walking in the direction of all the noise. "C'mon."

I stood there for an extra moment, and then followed Billy.

I'm not gonna lose Hazel like I lost Jane.