Epilogue

Four months later

“Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Tommy, happy birthday to you.” I sang along with the crowd as I walked with the cake to where my little man sat in his chair. Kevin stood proudly behind him with his hands resting on his Tommy’s chair and I placed the teddy bear cake he chose on the table. The candle burned and the wax had already started dripping on the brown icing.

“Blow the candle out baby.” He looked to me and then to Kevin and we both bent down next to him. We counted to three together and then blew the number one candle out. Kevin and I contributed to the distinguishing of the candle where as Tommy contributed to a layer of spit on the cake. He hadn’t quite mastered the art of blowing yet.

Our families cheered around us and Tommy clapped his hands along with them, a happy cheer erupting from his lips. I had started cutting the cake when I noticed Kevin reach for his phone. I looked at him questioningly and he replied, “I just received an email. Maybe the results are finally out.” I nodded.

Kevin and I had been waiting anxiously to hear about out design project. The university and Dream Design Corp. had received such an influx of design ideas that they extended the date for when the results would be out. We were hoping to find out our fate today.

I gave an icing covered piece to Tommy who stuck his hands in straight away. He lifted a sticky hand to his mouth and covered his cheeks with the icing as he tried to push his hand in his mouh. I stood next to him watching happily when suddenly I felt my body lifted in the air and Kevin’s strong arms around my waist. “We did it baby. We won the contest!” He screamed in my ear and placed me on the floor again, turning me to see his grinning face. It took me a moment to catch his meaning and then I squealed and threw my body into his arms.

“We did it!” I kissed him over and over again and he kissed me back with equal love and excitement. Once we were done molesting each other, Kevin turned to our family's and screamed, “we won the internship contracts.” A louf applause and cheers broke out and I turned to hug Kevin again. I had my arms wrapped tightly around Kevin’s neck when I felt a hand brush my leg. I looked down at Tommy’s decorated and frowning face. He was probably wondering what all the commotion was about.

“Uppie,” he called. It had been his first word which he learnt only a month and half before. He lifted his arms in the air and I picked him up willingly. I grunted slightly at the effort as his once light body easily gained weight giving him the shape of a little boy. He kissed my cheek sloppily and stained it brown from the icing that stained his own.

“Mama.” He kissed me again and silence fell on the party. I quickly looked at Mr. and Mrs. Becket hoping they weren’t offended. Each held large smiles on their faces and tears in their eyes and I breathed a sigh of relief.

“You alright Tori?” Asked Kevin. I blinked away my tears and nodded.

“I’m better than I’ve ever been.” Another round of applause broke out and I laughed as I hugged my baby boy. "Thank you Maggie." I whispered under my breath as I looked at the clear sky. "Thank you for never leaving me." I grinned one last time and turned my attention back to the party.

It was time to celebrate. Time to be with my family.