Lights Up Above

Sorry! I had summer camp and a whole bunch of other things to do before I published this, and I didn't have enough time to include the actual training yet!

October 9th, 1995 (nighttime)

I woke up with blurry eyes, not at all helped by the fact that the room around me was barely visible in what little light the moon provided. My mind was foggy, and I couldn't form a full thought in the shadows of my drowsiness, but after a few minutes I remembered that I could feel.

The usual warmth beside me was gone.

Jolting upright, I rubbed my eyes of the bleariness and looked around the dorm. I could faintly see the rug in the center of the room with the Ravenclaw crest. A few blue pillows littered the floor, courtesy of some apparently uneasy sleepers.

A moment of scanning around me revealed several sleeping figures all curled up in their bunks, a completely open curtain at the far side of the circular room, and someone standing by the window that it should have covered.

"Luna?" I mumbled, half to myself and half in hope that the sound would reach her. She didn't react, so I assumed that it hadn't.

I swung my legs to the side, flattening my palms against my bed - our bed, in a sense - and used them to push myself up to stand. My legs were a bit shaky at first, but they held.

Good, at least I'm not too tired to walk.

She very clearly heard me and my attempts to step lightly, though I doubted she saw them as such. I wasn't succeeding in doing so.

"Oh, you're up," she said as I approached her, turning to me. The light from the moon shone on one half of her face, revealing a small and gentle smile, while her other half was cloaked in the darkness of the room around us.

A small smile of my own crept onto my face. "I guess that I couldn't sleep without my pillow," I whispered with a playful nudge, stepping closer to her.

Her eyes shifted back outside. "It's beautiful, isn't it?"

I gazed out of the window with her. The black velvet of the sky was devoid of any clouds, and the stars dotting it complimented each other as only opposites can. They reminded me of our field of flowers; there were so many specks of color of different sizes and brightness just begging for us to admire them.

"The stars?" I asked. There were so many beautiful sources of light up there that I was unsure what she was talking about. The stars, the moon, all of it was so gorgeous.

"No," Luna softly giggled, "Look closer, Sele."

My eyes, which had wandered to her as I was wondering what she meant, drifted back up to take a closer look at the divine canvas. That's when I noticed that not every speckle of light was fixed in a single position.

A few streaks of white would race across the sky every now and then. They lasted for only an instant, and were hard to spot unless I focused on specific spots in the sky and hoped to see them, but they were very worth finding. Each shooting star was unique, shifting slightly in their directions and brightness. But they were all beautiful.

"Wow..." I found myself saying, entranced by the streaks of light. Luna looked at me with that same twinkle in her eyes.

"I find you rather pretty in this light," she said out of nowhere. My cheeks started to feel warm.

I couldn't find much of anything to say fast enough, so I just smiled and said, "You're rather pretty in any light."

Well, I think that was pretty lame-