seven

I was awake early the next morning and I wasted no time. Almost as soon as my eyes opened, I had begun to continue what was started the previous day.

I had brewed a cup of tea to drink as I worked. The living room was today's task. With the brick walls, I was unable to hang much on them, but I decided that it wouldn't matter much.

I worked from six until noon on my living room. It took me an incredibly long time, but I did take breaks in between.

By the time I was done, there were accent pillows every which way, and enough colors to make your eyes hurt. I had just finished stacking a pile of books in the corner of the room when somebody knocked on the door.

"Coming!" I called. I turned away from the books and walked to the door. When it swung open, Harry stepped inside. I wasn't surprised. "Hey,"

I walked away from the door and shut it as I went. My gaze moved across the large group of empty boxes beside it.

"It looks nice," he noted. I nodded.

"Thanks," I replied. "How was work?" I looked over at him; he was now sitting on my purple armchair.

He rolled his eyes and grumbled, "A waste of time,"

I laughed. "Sorry,"

"Some jackass made a mistake and I had to get called in to fix it," he said it in a way that made me think he was talking about something a bit more than a misfiled paper.

"Where do you work?" My curiosity got the best of me.

He didn't move for a moment, and then he shook his head. "I, uh, it's sort of hard to explain. Basically, my job is to sniff out liars; I'm pretty high up in the business,"

"Oh, so you work for something like the police?"

"Yeah, uh, something like that," he breathed out. Then, quickly, he stood up. "Let's go get some lunch, I feel bad for bailing on you last night," And just like that, the subject was changed.

"It was no big deal; we were both tired," I said. "But, yeah, I'm cool with lunch,"

I grabbed my purse from the coffee table and followed Harry out the door. It took us five minutes to walk to the place; it was just down the street. We were seated immediately.

"We should go out tonight," Harry said after the waitress left with our drink orders. I looked at him with creased eyebrows.

"Out...where?" I asked. "Like to a pub?"

"Yeah, I go out on Friday nights anyway, just thought I might invite you," he said. "You could get acquainted with some people around here,"

I hadn't even realized it was Friday; that was how flustered and caught up in everything going on I was.

"Uh, sure, yeah," I said. It would be good for me to get out of the stress for a bit. It seemed to never stop.

When the waitress returned with our drinks, I ordered a BLT.

"So what's your plan now?" Harry asked. I raised my eyebrows.

"No clue, honestly," I said with a laugh. "I suppose I'll get a job one way or another, make some friends. It's like I'm starting all over."

"I see,"

"I don't where the hell I'll work, but I'll find something,"