Dismay

Abigail made her way down the street with Daphne's letter in hand. It was early in the morning and it had been an uneasy two days since the confrontation with her father. She had stayed at the house partly because she was too emotionally exhausted to leave, but also because she had to now get the family affairs in order if her father was to move to the country home. 

She spent all of yesterday in the study attempting to make sense of the millions of papers that related to her family's affairs, all the while the staff were packing her father's things for him to move. 

The letter from Daphne had arrived in the early morning post, and she made her way back to the Bridgerton household. She had decided to walk instead of take a carriage, the contents of the letter whirling in her mind.

"..Marriage is not what we were fooled into thinking it was."

"...Have since learned he has been keeping secrets from me."

For some reason, Abigail was not surprised. Of course, with everything that had happened during their courtship something like this would arise. She felt for Daphne, but what could she tell her? It's not as if she had been married herself nor had any perspective. No, it seemed as if the universe were providing one obstacle after another in order to prevent her from marrying.

Lost in thought, she hardly noticed the boy running down the streets holding the latest copies of Whistledown. Well, that was she hardly noticed until he was right next to her. 

"Oh wait a moment!" She called, effectively stopping him. 

Pulling some money from the coin purse around her wrist, she handed it to the boy and he gave her a fresh sheet before running off.

All is fair in love and war, but some battles leave no victor, only a trail of broken hearts that makes us wonder if the price we pay is ever worth the fight. The ones we love have the power to inflict the greatest scars. For what thing is more fragile than the human heart?

The bond between man and bride is private, sacred. But I must tell you, I have learned that a grave fraud is afoot. As if the Featheringtons did not have enough to be dealing with, Miss Marina Thompson is with child and has been from the very first day she arrived in our fair city.

Desperate times may call for desperate measures, but I would wager many will think her actions beyond the pale. Perhaps she thought it her only option, or perhaps she knows no shame. But I ask you, can the ends ever justify such wretched means?

Oh dear. Abigail picked up her skirt and rushed towards the Bridgerton household. 

Once there, she knocked on the door, well acquainted with the staff by now so that they simply let her inside and took her gloves and purse. She held onto both the letter and the gossip sheet, and proceeded directly to the dining room where, apparently, only Lady Bridgerton sat. 

"Violet, I'm so sorry to rush in." She said as she moved towards her. 

"Of course, dear. Are you alright? You didn't return after—"

"I'm fine, I had to take care of some things, but you need to see this." 

She pushed the copy of Whistledown into her hands and watched as her expression morphed into one of mild horror. 

"Oh my." She whispered and stood from her chair. 

She moved around the table and swiftly made her way out of the room. Abigail followed, but stayed in the doorway and watched as Colin made his way down the stairs. Violet stood at the bottom and waited

"What is it?" Colin asked as his pace slowed upon seeing his mother. 

She said nothing and simply handed him the gossip sheet. He set down his bags and took it. Now, Abigail watched as his expression also morphed into one of shock. He looked up at his mother, then at the sheet, and then back up again, tears welling in his eyes. Almost immediately, he turned and ran back up the stairs.

As his figure retreated, Anthony entered through the doorway into the house. He took in the room and walked over to his mother where they had a hushed conversation. Abigail only assumed they were talking about Colin and Marina, as the eldest Bridgerton looked up at where Colin had just run from. His mother patted his shoulder and gracefully made her own way up the stairs, no doubt to console her son. 

Anthony stood there for a moment, before finally looking over in her direction. Upon fully seeing her, he made a quick movement and walked past her into the dining room, grabbing her wrist to effectively make her follow. 

Abigail thought he would speak about what had just happened with Colin, but she would be wrong. 

"You said you would come home after talking with your father." 

His words were tense and full of concern. 

"Technically, I was home." 

"Not what I meant. This home." He gestured to the house around him. 

She'd never admit it, but this made her heart swell. 

"I had some family affairs to get in order." She said in a way of explanation.

"You have to tell me these things. I refuse to have a relationship where we don't talk to each other." 

She quirked her brow. 

"Have you had a letter from Daphne?" 

"Hastings." 

"Ah." She paused before making a slight joke. "You don't, by chance, have any secret vows or grudges that will affect our marriage, do you?" 

At this he finally laughed and pretended to think for a moment. 

"Well, I'd have to think about that." 

She gawked and playfully hit his arm. He caught her hand and pulled her close. They wouldn't be able to stay like that for long but it was still nice for the moment. 

"We'll be just fine." She assured him as well as herself.

(And I have FINALLY made it past the writers block and now have a new chapter for you all! Hope you liked it!)