Flashback 5 - New mom

New Orleans, Louisiana, 1933

Two weeks after everything that happened in Rochester, my new family and I moved to New Orleans, Louisiana. Rosalie still hadn't gotten used to the idea of being a vampire, and was still a little angry with Carlisle for turning her.

When we arrived at our new home, Edward, Rosalie and Carlisle went out hunting, leaving only Esme and I at home. On their hunts, they usually stayed away from home for a few days and always someone stayed with me.

One day I woke up feeling a pain in my stomach. I got out of bed and immediately realized what it was. Being around a lot of vampires, I had totally forgotten that even though I was a witch, I had needs and my body was more human than the vampires'. I had gotten my period. I went into despair. I had been living with them for a very short time, and I was a little embarrassed to tell them. The only person who would be more comfortable to tell was Rosalie, but she wasn't home, and being a newborn it would be harder for her.

Before I walked out of my bedroom Esme knocked on the door.

"Good morning, Honey. Is everything okay?"

"Oh... Y-yes... I'm just going to get dressed and then I'll go have breakfast."

"May I come in?"

I quickly changed clothes and let Esme in.

"You know you can tell me anything, Vi. You don't need to be embarrassed about anything."

She obviously knew what happened.

"I..I..." I was stuttering.

"Did you get your period?"

"Y-yes" I said, without looking at her.

"There's no problem. I'll be everything you need. Are you feeling any pain?"

I only nodded.

"I'll have to speak to Carlisle about the medication later. I'll be back."

Then Esme left and I was left alone in the house. I went downstairs to get the breakfast that she had already made. She came back quickly and handed me the bag she had bought.

"Thanks, Mom."

I finished my breakfast and went back to my room.

Later, I was reading one of my birth mother's grimoires in the living room, Esme was reading another book sitting next to me. When I went to change the page, I realized that the grimoire was freezing, close to where I had just touched it. I carefully dropped it on the table.

"What's wrong, Vi?" she asked me.

Before I could answer, I took another book in my hand, and it froze in its entirety.

"Ice! I now have the power to control ice!" I said. Esme was looking very curiously at the book I'd just frozen.

"Congratulations, Vi!" she said, hugging me.